6 - I promise

Harry is going to turn fourteen and Louis fifteen and they’re still best friends. Yet, not like they were before… their friendship is much stronger and more real, still different though. So this just proves that Louis didn’t hear Harry’s parents’ words about him staying away from his son. He doesn’t care and he almost said Fuck you when they told him that he isn’t allowed to see Harry anymore, for the third time when Harry came back home, after the accident. He said in her mind not to create more problems and if his mother heard him cursing he would be grounded for sure. And being grounded for Louis is not seeing Harry so everything would be in vain.

Now that they’re on eighth and ninth grade they meet every Fridays and Saturdays to study together at Louis’ place. Well it’s for Harry to study while Louis keeps complaining or telling Harry some stories. Harry makes his best to force his best friend to study but he can’t find the way of Louis doing it. Maybe he can make him quiet for fifteen minutes but that’s all.

Harry doesn’t hear what he says most of the time but when Louis is trying to let out something that has been bothering  him, Harry stops what he is doing and pulls away the books to listen to him. Louis trusts his life with Harry, he tells him everything and he couldn’t ask for a better listener than Harry. However he wished he could be the listener as well once in a while.

On the other days, when Harry manages to get away from his parents – they kind of gave up on making Harry not seeing Louis thing – they keep doing the things they used to do as kids. Even if now the topic of conversations are others and Harry’s draws have improved – Louis still haven’t had the opportunity to read what Harry writes in the same book but he hopes one day he has that privilege.

Louis can make Harry play football sometimes with him and that makes him feel like a great player because Harry… kinda sucks yeah. But Louis is a good player himself and when he joined to a football team last year, Harry started going to all his important games. He makes Harry going to the church with him on Sundays – and Harry doesn’t even believe in those things but he goes anyway, for Louis – so now he likes it better as when he was younger.

Louis is also keeping the promise he made with Harry when he went to the second grade so he still spends his breaks at school with Harry. They have lunch together, they keep sharing their snacks and after classes they spend most of their time together. And the best of it, on Louis’ point of view is that he still manages to make his best friend laugh and he decided, a long time ago, that it’s the best feeling in the world. The fact he’s the reason why Harry is a little bit happier makes him feel like God.

Harry still needs his time alone and he might have changed but there are days when he is a bit quieter than the usual but that’s nothing Louis is not used to and learnt to respect about his friend. 

They have – they are – literally growing up together so it’s not weird – at least for Louis – to talk about how is body is changing, the weird things that happen to him – Harry shares with him as well, even when they are embarrassing – and how different him, both, had become. He also likes to compare himself with Harry – in a healthy way though and with that he’s still mad with the fact that Harry’s voice is still deeper than his, even after their voice changed.

“My school play is on Friday.” Louis says while they’re eating ice cream – it's almost spring in Louis’ defence – sat on the floor, in front of the TV.

“How many times did you talk to me about it already?” About ten, Louis thinks. But he always talked about it with the propose to listen to Harry saying that he’s going to watch him 

“I’m excited!”

“I know.” Harry chuckles leaning the spoon to his lips. Harry doesn’t find weird anymore the fact that Louis keeps watching the way he licks his spoon sometimes, how he takes it to his lips and the way the pink from the ice cream contrasts so well with the redness of his lips. Harry doesn’t mind and he never pointed that out to Louis. Louis doesn’t even notice sometimes when he’s staring at his friend even.