s i x t e e n

I see Ryder walking towards my desk. They've been gone since I left to go talk to Mon-El. 

"Hey, guys," I say. 

"Kara, what time do you get off work?" Jake asks from behind Ryder. 

"Um, soon. Why?"

"Well, the rest of us are going out for karaoke night and we were wondering if you would like to join us," he says with a smile. 

"I'm sorry, but I have plans tonight, sorry. I have a friend coming in today, it's a long journey from his place to here so he'll be crashing with me," I say. Barry technically is traveling between worlds which is obviously pretty far. Not that he'll be tired or anything, cause you know, he's the Flash, but these guys don't know that.

"It's okay, just thought we would ask," he says. 

I use my hearing to listen to Ms. Grant's elevator. "I came back early to spend time with my son." Ms. Grant.

My eyes go wide. "What?" Ryder asks. 

"Nothing," I say. The elevator opens and Ms. Grant walks out. "Ms. Grant, you're early. How was your trip?" I ask as I follow behind her to her office. 

"Well, let's see, Harrison Ford called me again, asking me if I would go on a date. I already told him before that I do not date older men," she says while putting her purse away and sitting behind her desk. 

I nod in agreement. "So, Kerah, tell me, how is Mon-El doing?"

"Um, good, actually, he has a job and-" I start. 

"I asked how he was doing, not his entire life story," she says. 

"Right," I say. "Um, Ms. Grant, do you remember my cousin- friend, Barry? Well, he's coming into town tonight so can I have tomorrow off?" I ask, my fingers crossed. 

"Yes, you can, as long as you keep reporting tomorrow," she says. 

"Of course, Ms. Grant, thank you," I say with a smile. 

I turn around and see Ryder, Jake and the rest of the gang listening in, that's not weird at all. "Oh, that reminds me," Ms. Grant says. "I called Adam, telling him that Ryder is in town so he is coming here for a few days. Make yourself scarce from this building while he is here. Think of this as a work vacation for you, where you work outside of the office, not in it, okay?"

"Yes, Ms. Grant, of course."

"I don't want Adam seeing you with Mon-El. He still isn't over you and with everything going on, it will just make everything worse. You can leave now. Come back next week," Ms. Grant says. I turn around and walk out of the door. 

"You dated my brother?" Ryder asks after the door to Ms. Grant's office closes. 

"Not that it's any of your business, but yes."

"Why did he break up with you if he still likes you?" He asks. 

"He's not the one who ended things," I say with a sigh. 

"Oh," Ryder says. 

"Anyways, hopefully, I'll see you guys around because, as you probably heard when you were listening, I won't be coming into work for the next week. It was great getting to know you," I say. 

"Kara?" Kitty says. 

"Yeah?"

"We haven't known each other long but I used to have a friend who looks like you just look all too familiar," she says. 

"Wh- who looks like me?" I stutter. 

"Um, our friend, my girlfriend, Marley Rose," Jake butts in. 

I broke up with you when you cheated on me, I say to myself. 

"Huh, well, sorry, but like I told you before, I don't know why you guys think I look like Marley. We haven't spoken in years. Anyways, guys, I have to go. Bye," I say quickly and leave after grabbing my things. I can hear them talking as I leave. 

Jake: She knows something and she's not telling us. 

Ryder: Yeah. And what about you, Marley is not your girlfriend, you cheated on her. 

Jake: Kara doesn't have to know that. 

Oh, but Kara already does, I think. They have to stop meddling in my business.