Where You Came From

(Aiden's POV)

I had been running for what seemed like an eternity. Trying to reach the only place I could think of that she would have run off to. My heart was beating out of my chest. It felt like I couldn't breath, and my eyes stung from the air whipping around me. But none of that mattered. I had one thing on my mind. Finding Ali.

When I reached the bridge, stopping only for a moment to catch my breath, then ran down the hill where the water met the rocky shore. I ascended the ladder that led to a small space under the bridge. Ali and I had came here, when we wanted to be alone. We had kept blankets, pillows, and some snacks in the little space. We had even hung pictures of us on the wall. This was our secret place. When I finally reached the top, I seen someone sitting in the corner facing the wall.

"Ali?" I said as I quickly rushed over to the person.

She turned around, but I could tell something was wrong. I was greeted with a sad smile. Just as I went to hug her, she disappeared in my arms. It was as if she had evaporated into nothing. I hit my fist off the ground in frustration.

A part of me knew something wasn't right. I couldn't feel her presence, like she was gone. The tears swelled in my eyes, and a tight feeling in my chest made me drop to my knees. Clutching my chest with one hand, as the other held me up. It felt as if my heart had sunk, and the walls I built had come crashing down with it.

This unusual feeling of pain felt like an open wound. My whole body was shaking, and my sobs were stifled at first as I attempted to hide my grief. Overcome by the wave of my emotions, I  broke down entirely. All of my defenses washed away in those salty tears. Not tears of pain, but of suppressed rage. 

I was more angry at myself than anything. To not know where she was or what had happened to her, burned in my chest. I choked on my sobs, as I tried to take a deep breath and collect my thoughts. There was a static in my head.

For a moment I thought it was Ali, but I was wrong. It was him. The man who has been talking to me for as long as I can remember. I never knew who he was. It had been a while since I had last seen or heard from him.

"Aiden. What's wrong?" The man asked.

I turned around slowly, and there he was standing behind me.

"What are you doing here?" I asked as I wiped the tears off of my face.

He studied me for a while, shifting his head side to side.

"I heard your cries. It seemed like you needed some help," He said as he held out his hand.

I hesitated as I stared at him.

"I can't do this right now. Get out of my head. I have to find her," I said as I walked past him.

He grabbed the sleeve of my jacket, and stared deep into my eyes.

"Oh I'm very much real, my boy. You're going to have to face me sooner or later," He said.

I pulled away, almost losing my balance, but gained my composure.

"I don't know who you are. What do you even want?" I asked in confusion.

"Ask your mother," Was all he said before disappearing just like Ali did.

The way he said mother caught me off guard. I shook my head as I made my way to the ladder, climbing down it carefully. My head clouded with so many questions. Some I didn't even want to know the answers to. This wasn't the time for this. I need to find Ali. I began to run as soon as my feet touched the ground.

When I got home, everyone was in the living room. My mother and Anna stood up, as if they were hoping I'd brought good news. I just shook my head, and Anna sunk back to the ground. Alex wrapped his arms around her, as he looked up at me. She pushed him away, before standing up and storming off into the kitchen.