Reunions and Departures (Part 2)

(Alice's POV)

"Mother, it's so nice to see you

"Mother, it's so nice to see you. I've missed you so much," I said, as I slowly approached her.

"Come sit," She said with a smile.

I took a seat next to her, and she wrapped an arm around me. Her touch was warm and soft. She smelled like vanilla and coffee. The same way she smelled every morning after making breakfast. This woman did everything for me, until I was forced to kill her. Why her? She was innocent. A beautiful soul, who deserved the world for all she did. She didn't need to die, but she was ripped from this earth befor her time. One of my biggest regrets was not being able to see through Sophia's witchcraft. I couldn't tell it was her that I was killing.

"Honey, don't dwell on the past. You wont be able to focus on and enjoy the present and future that is to come," She said, as she placed a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm so sorry mother. It's my fault you're dead," I said as a steamy tear dripped down my face.

With her free hand she wiped away my tear, and pulled me close to kiss my forehead. She then pulled me into a hug, running her fingers through my hair.

"Sweetie, it was never your fault. I was chosen for this. She told me what would happen. I accepted you into my heart, in place of the child I had lost. My daughter, Evelyn Grace was to be her name. When I died we were reunited," She said as she looked off to the sunflower field in the distance.

"Wow, mom, shes just as beautiful as you are," I said, with a smile as tears enjoy ran down my face

Then it hit me. She knew, and never told me. A secret she took to her grave. Had she been asked to do that? Did she actually love me? Was I only a replacement?

"Both of my daughters are beautiful. I wouldn't trade either of you for anything. I'm so proud of the woman and mother you have become. Even if I didn't get to be there physically, I am always watching. I'd never forget about the little girl who stole my heart from the first time I laid my eyes on her," She said with a smile, as she held her hand in mine.

"I wish I could stay," I said, as I looked down at my feet.

I didnt even realize I was barefoot till now. The cement patio felt warm beneath my feet, as I touched my toes to the floor.