The Upper Hand

(Ali's POV)

After finding my way through the blinding white maze, which almost resembled a hospital, I finally made it out of the attic. I walked down what seemed like an endless hallway, until I found the stairs. The sound of humming echoed at the bottom of the stairs, as Morana walked back and forth. It was almost as if she were waiting for something or someone.

When the door to the basement opened, I rushed to the bottom of the stairs. My astral body collided with Morana, and it sent a shiver through my body. I looked at her, and she seemed to feel it, too. She leaned back against the railing of the staircase, after gaining her composure.

I could hear Sophia talking, and an almost familiar voice responding to what she was saying. A small, blonde girl covered in dirt, had followed her out of the basement. For a moment, I was confused. I had thought she was upstairs with me only moments ago, but it seems I had been lost in the astral world for some time.

The mysterious girl looked almost familiar, but I couldn't tell where I had seen her. I wanted to run for the door, but I also wanted to see what she was going to do to this girl. Since I couldn't actually escape without my physical body, I decided to follow Sophia and the strange girl.

To my surprise, she had taken her to the bathroom to get a shower. I'd kill for a shower right now. Considering the last time I had even been in water, was only moments before Sophia and Morana had taken me from my home. Why were they giving this girl special treatment?

Before I could find out, Sophia closed the door. For a brief moment, just before the door closed, I could have sworn the girl looked right at me. I put my finger up to my lips, signaling for her to keep it a secret. Just as the door closed, Sophia walked right through me, only this time, it sent my astral body back into my physical body. I sat up in the bed, gasping for air as I clenched my chest.

It seemed as if the longer I was out of my body, the weaker I became. I began to worry that if I spent too much time out of my body, that I would be stuck, and not able to get back in it. After pulling out the IV's from my arms, I grabbed a blood bag with my shaking hand. Vigorously drinking from it, until I had sucked out every last drop. I threw it on the floor, and it landed at Sophia's feet. She looked up at me, as she bent down to pick up the empty bag.

She wagged her finger side to side, as she walked towards me. I shielded my face in fear, as if I were expecting her to slap me. Instead she placed her hand on my arm, gently lowering it to my side. Suddenly a sharp pain shot through my neck, as I let out a hissing sound. For a moment I was frozen with shock.

I could feel the fluid entering my veins, as she injected me with a needle. I pulled the needle out with a shaking hand, before pushing her away from me. She slammed against the wall, leaving a crack in the drywall. I almost fainted, until two arms picked me up. I looked up into his eyes with blurred vision.

For a moment I could see Aiden's face, but then his features became clearer. It wasn't Aiden, but the man who helped create him. I was too weak to fight him. So, I let him carry me away. With my eyes slowly opening and closing, I could barely make out where he was taking me.

The bright lights faded, as he began to descend the stairs. There were candles and pictures of an unhappy child, hanging on the sides of the wall. I could feel something happening to me. Something wasn't right. It felt as if my astro body was trying to pull out.

As much as I tried to force myself to stay awake, there was no avail. Before I knew it, I was looking at myself from the ceiling. Sophia was following behind James. Slowly, my feet touched down to the ground, and I followed close behind them. Once we reached the second floor, he turned to the right. A few doors down he stopped, and opened a door on the left.

Sophia went in first, and fixed the blankets on the bed. The room was decorated in white and burgundy colors. James laid my body on the bed, before leaving the room, closing the door behind him. I watched as Sophia walked over to the closet. She pulled out a black and purple dress, that had somewhat of an opening in the back.

After she laid the dress on the bed, she walked over to the white dresser. Sitting on top of it, was a gigantic mirror. I stood next to her, looking into the mirror, only I didn't have a reflection. My attention was snapped back, when she held up a matching,  black bra and underwear set. She shrugged her shoulders, before making her way back to me.

To my surprise, my eyes were open. At first, they were looking at Sophia, then they landed on me. I was looking myself in the eyes. Only it wasn't me. I wasn't the one in control. It brought many questions to the surface. Questions in which I was unsure I wanted to know the answers of. It sent a cold shiver through my astral body.

"Good you're awake. Can you dress yourself? Or do I have to do it?" Sophia asked.

There was no reply, but my eyes shifted back to Sophia. She sighed and shook her head, as she began to strip my body.

"That elixir is some good stuff isn't it? My own personal brew," Sophia said, as she slipped the new underwear over my smooth, pale skin.

I kept looking at my body, as if I were expecting a response that would never come. It would be impossible. Unless, when I leave my body, it allows others to enter. Hopefully that's not the case, and they don't stay. I shook the bad thoughts from my head.

"It's like a drug, and its very fun. That is, if you want to escape your mind for a while. I could sell it, if I wanted to," She said with a grunt, as she pulled my body into a sitting up position.

My body looked like an empty vessel. Or even a puppet, one who's eyes were the only thing that moved. It felt impossible to be staring into my own eyes, but here I was face to face with myself. Even as Sophia pulled the dress over my head, my eyes never closed.

A knock came at the door, before James walked into the room. Sophia moved out of the way, allowing him to pick my body up. I tried to see if my eyes were still open, but Sophia stood in the way. She always got in the way. I sighed and rolled my eyes, before following them out of the room.

We descended the main stairs, and walked in the direction of the kitchen. The door shut in my face, causing me to flinch. When I opened my eyes, I looked down at my body. My appearance had changed, and I was now wearing the same dress that was on my physical body. That's when I noticed that my skin was almost translucent. As if I were a ghost.

Just then it hit me. I stuck my hand out in front of me, to test my theory. It went right through the door. After slowly stepping through the door, I could see the same mysterious girl from earlier. She was sitting at the table next to Morana. It was as if they were the bestest of friends.

In front of them sat Sophia, who was also sitting next to my body. Its eyes opened, and stared directly at me. I carefully walked closer to the table. Listening to what they were talking about.

"How long does that drug last?" Morana asked, as she stared at my body.

"About an hour. I'm surprised her eyes are opened right now. I gave her a strong dosage," Sophia said as she sat my head back.

"Maybe she is stronger than you think," The strange girl said, as she stuffed her mouth with a rare piece of steak.

I watched as the blood trickled down her chin. A knot formed in my stomach. I was craving blood.

"You hungry?" Morana asked as she waved a piece of steak in my face.

I waited for a reaction to come out of me. My eyes shifted from myself, to Morana, then back at my astral self. I made my way around the table, and stood by my side. After touching my shoulder, I could feel myself being sucked back into my body.

I opened my eyes, and didn't move or talk. I felt completely normal. It was as if my body fought off the side effects of the drug. I smiled to myself, because I knew this was something I could use to my advantage. I had the upper hand.

(Pic is of Ali)