Nothing Stays The Same In Wonderland

I opened my eyes to darkness. I tried to stretch out my arms, but they hit wood covered with what felt like dirt. I was in some kind of confined space that was obviously underground. It was a grave.

I didn't bother to shout for help because wherever I was buried, it was away from civilization. I was certain of it. I tried banging on the top of the wooden box, trying to break through it but it wouldn't budge. I had to get out of there. I didn't know what to do though. I tried banging on the box again, closing my eyes from the falling dirt. I kind of just willed myself to get out of there and then suddenly, I felt fresh air surrounding me. I opened my eyes to an empty field.

Huh. Strange. I thought. There weren't really any trees around, just a lot of grass. What grabbed my attention was that the grass surrounding my grave sight was dead. This wasn't good. I was just in Hell, then suddenly I was out. I felt a little different though. I looked down at my arms, legs, and stomach. They were all perfectly fine. Not a scratch on me.

I turned around in a complete circle. All I saw was grass. I started walking, not sure where I was going. It didn't take very long, but I found a house. By the looks of it, it was abandoned. Dead plants in the flower beds, no cars, rusted chairs, vines growing up on the house. However, someone was inside. There were no physical signs of a presence in it, but I could feel it. I couldn't explain it. I just knew.

I ran to the back of the house. Whoever was inside clearly didn't belong here. I dug in my pocket and couldn't believe it. My lockpick was still there. I tried the door first. I was actually surprised to find it locked. I unlocked it with ease and stepped inside, closing the door quietly behind me. The back of the house was dark, but for some reason, I didn't need a flashlight to see.

I checked my boot. Yup, my knife was still there too. Spencer must have buried me with all my stuff. I pulled the knife out of my boot and held it in front of me. I slowly made my way to the front of the house, keeping close to the walls.

The house started getting lighter as I got closer to the front. I turned quickly but silently into the next room. No one was here. This was obviously the kitchen. There were a few empty beer bottles on the table with a calender page next to them. It was for August. There were only two days marked off on it. The first and the second. Today was the third. Today was my birthday. I wasn't sure how old I was though. I moved my eyes to the corner of the page. 2013. I was 30, and it had been five years since I was dragged to the pit.

I set the calender page back down on the table. I stood there, considering what I just found out. Five years? I thought. How'd I get out so soon? I heard a noise in the next room over and straightened up, sticking my knife out in front of me again. I stepped carefully, trying not to make any noise until I got right outside the door.

It was already open slightly, so I stood next to it and waited a few seconds. I peered into the room but all I could see was half of a table and half of a couch. I couldn't see who was in the room but I saw candles, jars and bowls of blood, tiny bones. This wasn't a person or a demon for that matter. This was a witch, and every witch I've ever run into kills people.

I burst into the room, pushing the door open all the way and holding my knife out in front of me, ready to fight. I was ready to kill this thing, but something stopped me. Actually, not something but someone. "Lexi?" She almost whispered it.

It was my sister. I lowered the knife but not completely. Clearly, something had changed in the five years I was gone. She stood up, then slowly walked over to me. When she stood in front of me, she lifted her hand then uncertainly, placed it on my shoulder. When she confirmed that I was real, she pulled me into a tight embrace. I was a little shocked at first, and I didn't hug her back.