An Old 'Friend'

I decided to go back to the café where we first found the demons. They would most likely be somewhere around here since demons don't tend to spread out that much. Especially in big towns.

It was easier for me to spot my kind now so I wouldn't have to stick around in one place for too long. I quickly scanned the surprisingly empty café. I wasn't actually in the café, just to be safe. I was across the street but I could see just as well.

I glanced over the employees, none of which caught my attention. I was just about to leave when I noticed a shady figure walking into the café. His back was to me but he looked around him, probably making sure he wasn't being followed. As soon as he turned his head to the left, I saw him. Really saw him.

Considering he was making sure he wasn't being followed, he must be up to something. I waited for him to walk inside and then I followed quickly behind. I walked inside carefully, looking around.

Right when I closed the door, I heard an earsplitting shriek come from the kitchen. I immediately took my knife out of my boot, holding it out in front of me. Instead of walking back there, I just willed myself to leave and go into the kitchen.

There was a woman lying on the countertop in a pool of blood. I pushed her over and saw that she had been cutting up vegetables, but her hands were completely chopped off. Okay, these demons were having way too much fun.

I sensed someone standing behind me and whipped around, holding my knife at the ready. The demon I had seen walking into the café was standing there, smiling. His hands were covered in blood which was also sprayed across his shirt and face. He was holding a kitchen knife.

"Well, hello Lexi. Long time no see." He said, tilting his head to pop his neck.

"Dylan." I said through gritted teeth. His smile widened. "I was afraid you had forgotten." I rolled my eyes angrily. "How could I? You tortured me."

He shrugged. "Can't we get past that? Think of all the fun we had together!" He took a step forward, holding out his hand as an offering. "You could come with me. Continue the fun."

"You call that fun?" I sneered. "Torturing people? Like this innocent woman?" He sighed, walking over to the woman's corpse. "She was a nice lady. Had a husband, a daughter. That is until I killed them... And then her." He said, smiling and poking at the woman's corpse with his knife.

"But let's not dwell on the past! Join me!"

"Go to Hell."

"Oh, but we both know I have. And in my opinion? Kinda boring. I'd much rather prefer it up here." He held his arms up, motioning to everything around him.

"How does death work for you?" I asked, launching myself at him. He held out an arm, stopping me from stabbing him. He was stronger than me, I knew that but that wasn't going to stop me from trying.

"You would kill your own brother?" He glanced up at the knife I held in my hand. "With that pixie stick? Come on, now, Lexi. You're gonna have to try harder than that."

I glared at him. "You're not my brother. And this is a lot more than what it looks like." I swung my leg around, sweeping him off his feet. He realeased me as he fell to the ground, landing on his back. I jumped on top of him, holding the knife at his throat. I gave him a little cut to show him just what my knife could do. He swallowed hard, his adams apple bobbing and nearly scraping the edge of the knife.

A small smile played on his lips. I pressed the knife deeper into his skin. "Have fun with your little hunter friends." He said. "I hear they slaughter demons like nobody's business. You won't last a day." That was it. I glared at him, raising the knife away from his neck and stabbing him in the chest. He screamed out as an orange light erupted from his body, then he went limp.

I pulled the knife out, standing up and wiping it on my jacket. One down, about a million others to go. I walked out of the kitchen, finding the other employees cowering in the corner. I rolled my eyes and shooed them off. They left the café quickly.

I followed behind them to flip the 'OPEN' sign to 'CLOSED.' Then I closed all the shades and went back to the kitchen to burn the bodies. Demons usually left the messes they made but I wasn't just a demon, I was a hunter. I grabbed Dylan's body, leaving the café immediately. The employees saw what happened. They could explain about the woman and have the cops clean all this up. The demon was my only problem.

I went to an empty field, tossing the body on the ground. I hadn't really tested out any of my demon tricks, besides the very convenient teleportation. I wondered if I could set the body on fire without salt and oil and without it spreading. I decided to give it a go.

This was my first try so I had to concentrate. I stared hard at the body, thinking about flames. I snapped my fingers and boom. The body, and only the body, lit on fire. Ok, I could get used to this.

I didn't worry about waiting for it to finish burning. It was in the middle of an empty field with just grass and it didn't seem to be spreading. So, I ditched, looking for my next victim.