No Rest For The Wicked

I drove around pretty much all night. It felt good to be behind the wheel again. Spencer had dozed off about half and hour ago, and I just couldn't help but smile when I looked at her peaceful face in the passenger seat. I was back on the road with my sister, and we were going hunting. All was right in the world.

I had kind of circled around Fort Worth, back towards the abandoned house and headed out of town. I decided to go back to Dallas. It was closer than any city, and we needed to get a motel. Just not in Fort Worth. I couldn't stand the thought of staying there another night.

I drove off to Dallas, Texas as I listened to Back in Black by AC/DC playing onthe radio. I don't know if it was just because it seemed coincidental, but I think that was my new favorite song.

                                                                                ✪✪✪✪✪

A few hours later I pulled up in the parking lot of an old inn close to the outskirts of Dallas. We weren't necassarily staying here very long. We just needed a place to catch a lead. Spencer was still sleeping. This must've been the most sleep she's gotten in ages. I felt bad for leaving her the way I did but if I hadn't, she would be dead.

I stepped out of the car, careful not the wake her. I looked up at the glowing blue sign. 'Blue Night Inn' it read. I walked into the small lobby and stepped up to the front desk. "One room please. Two beds." I handed the man one of my many stolen credit cards which was under one of my old aliases Stephanie Turner. He checked me in without a word then handed me back my card, along with my room key.

I walked back outside to wake up Spencer. I lightly knocked on her window, and she opened her eyes, looking up at me in confusion. I dangled the key in front of her and the confused look disappeared. She got out of the car, closing the door behind her.

"Where are we?" She asked, following me to grab our duffels out of the trunk. "Blue Night Inn in Dallas, Texas."

"Dallas? As long as we've been driving, we're only in Dallas?" I handed her her duffel bag and closed the trunk.

"I circled around Fort Worth first, then came out here. I figured we just needed a place outside of Fort Worth to do some research and find a case." I walked up to the building with Spencer following.

"What's our room number?" She asked. I looked down at the key. "108." I told her. So, our room was on the first floor, not that there were very many floors in the first place. We walked through the lobby silently and found our room at the end of the right hallway. Thank God it was at the end. I didn't like being in the middle of all those other rooms. No one bothers the people at the end of the hall.

I unlocked the door and stepped in. It was just like any other motel we had stayed in. Old, run down, kinda smelly. Just right for a hunter though. I set my duffel on the bed closest to the window. Its not that I like a view, because the most beautiful view you can get at a motel is a brick wall. I just preferred to stay closer to some kind of exit.

"Ok, if we're going to be looking for a case, can we at least wait til morning? We need to sleep." Spencer said as she pulled the sheets back on her bed.

I crossed my arms and gave her a look that she understood instantly. "Oh, right. Um... Well, I need to sleep. I guess you just do whatever demons do at night..." She shuffled awkwardly into the bathroom and I chuckled.

Honestly, I was really sure what to do. This was my first night as a demon. I guess it would give me the chance to make sure my sister was ok and maybe start researching. I took out my laptop and set it on the bed. Instinctively, I pulled out my gun too and set it under my pillow along with some salt.

I got comfortable with my laptop resting on my lap as Spencer came out of the bathroom. "You starting on the research?" She asked. I nodded, realizing something was missing. A drink. I moved my laptop off of me and stood up. In the corner of the room, next to the window, was an Honor Bar. I made my way over to it and heard Spencer chuckle. I ignored her and grabbed a beer out of it, heading back over to the bed.

"Night, Lexi." Spencer said as she turned out the lights. Luckily, I didn't need lights. I also had a bright screen in front of my face so even if I was human I could still see it. "Sleep tight, baby sis." I said, winking.

For the majority of the night, I didn't really do much research. I spent most of it catching up on what I missed and enjoying the fact that I would never have to have nightmares of Hell. I was also keeping an eye on Spencer. Every once in a while, she would thrash around in her sleep or moan or gasp in fear and shock. The only reasoning I saw behind all of that was that she was still having nightmares of the day I died.

I left without her for a reason. I didn't want her to go through what she's been through. But her being her stubborn self, had to go anyway. So, throughout the night, I did very little research. I kind of just wanted to wait and do that with Spencer. Its been, well five years since we did any research together. Eventually, I just closed my laptop and rested my head against the wall, drinking beer as I watched the night slowly fade away into daylight.