Chapter 2

Y/N POV

I soon wake up again, but I'm on a sofa. I look around, and I'm getting a vibe that makes me feel like I'm not alone. I pull out trust, and aim behind me, and I see a big looking guy.

???: Whoa, Easy there. I'm not gonna hurt you like my daughter tried. I hope you aren't hurt anywhere.

Y/N: No... I'm fine. Who are you if I may ask? I'm guessing you're the man of the house.

???: You are correct. I'm Ghira Belladonna. *extends his hand* Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

I extend my hand towards his, and shake it firmly.

Y/N: Likewise. Now, I'm gonna need to get some answers, but first things first... where the hell am I?

Ghira: You're in Menagerie. I take it you're not from this world then?

Y/N: No... I'm not. I'm from Earth.

Ghira: Earth? Never heard of a place.

Y/N: Then where am I? What world is this?

Ghira: This is Remnant.

I summon my ghost, and he floats around curiously, taking in his surroundings.

Y/N: can you find any data regarding Remnant?

Ghost: I don't have anything in our archives... but... there's another problem...

Y/N: What's that?

Ghost: I don't have any connection with the Traveler... meaning... we don't have any light... meaning...

Y/N: I will die in an instant if I fall in combat.

Ghost: I'm afraid so... and... I'm afraid you won't be able to use your subclass either...

Ghira looked at my ghost and I in confusion.

Ghira: What is that ball looking thing? And what do you mean by subclass?

Y/N: Well, this is my companion we call a ghost. And by subclass... it would've been easier to show you, but... it's basically like a superpower... that based on one of three elements, you can do damage with that specific element.

Ghira: So... kind of like a semblance basically.

I look at my ghost in confusion and back at Ghira.

Y/N: Now, it's your turn to explain.

Ghira: A semblance is a power based on our aura. Aura is the manifestation of our souls. And our semblances can be unlocked based on certain events, whether by accident or by tragedy.

I sit with Ghira on a pillow as he explains how Remnant works, and Kali walks in carrying tea for us.

Kali: Well, in short: Remnant is definitely different from your world, hun.

I blushed under my helmet from being called that.

Ghira: Indeed. If you prefer, we can try to train you to gain an aura... maybe even unlock your semblance along the way... try to get you used to our world.

Y/N: I would appreciate that, but I'm well trained in fighting for my life.

Ghira: Well, what about for others? Have you fought for anyone else but yourself?

I wanted to answer, but I got flashbacks to my team dying before I came through the portal and froze. I'm guessing Kali noticed, and gave a subtle head gesture towards Ghira.

Ghira: I'm guessing that's a sensitive topic... I'll give you some time to adjust to all you've heard.

Ghira gets up and walks outside, leaving Kali and I sitting there.

Kali: I noticed you froze when he said that. Do you... wanna talk about it?

I sigh and took off my hood and helmet, revealing my face.

Y/N: I had a fire team I considered a family...

Ghost flies over and shows a holographic photo of my team and I on our first mission.

Y/N: The Titan is my sister Preator. She's not really my sister, but... adoptive sister. The Warlock is my best friend Travis. We were close... very close. We were sent out on a mission to eliminate a hive wizard... but...

At this point, tears are streaming down my cheeks as I see their deaths again flash before my eyes.

Y/N: When the bastard summoned a portal, I was the only one pulled through... I watched them die right in front of me...

I slowly fall silent as I sniffle and cry. Kali slid towards me and hugged me gently and almost motherly.

Kali: I'm truly sorry for your loss... I don't know what it's like to lose a family like that, but I know what it's like to feel like you couldn't protect them enough. My daughter risks her life day in and day out, and my husband is constantly targeted with insults and armed men.

I hear her words, and I can tell she means it. I hug her back, and I cry into her shoulder. Unknown to me, Blake is hiding behind a corner, crying quietly as well.

Blake: *whispering to herself* I'm sorry for your family Y/N... but... I promise I'll always be here for you... and I'll never leave your side...

I dry my tears, and look Kali in the eyes.

Y/N: Thank you Kali... for understanding.

Kali places her hand on my cheek, and I lean into it gently. Her touch is warm, soft, and very gentle.

Kali: Of course... it's what mothers do for a child in need. If you want, you can stay here with us and live here.

Y/N: I don't wanna be a burden to you all...

Out of nowhere, Blake comes behind me and hugs me, wrapping her arms around my chest.

Blake: Please don't leave... I know I tried to hurt you, but I'm sorry... I'm sorry for hurting you when you lost your team... but please don't leave...

I turn around to face Blake, and I look into her eyes and see the tears.

Y/N: I forgive you for that... and... I'll stay with you guys. I don't have much to offer, but I can be good with work and I can be a good bounty hunter if I need to be.

Blake's ears picked up, and she went towards Kali. She whispered something into her ear, and they both nodded.

Kali: Well, maybe you can do something to help. But not for us however... maybe for all of Remnant? My daughter is supposed to be leaving for Beacon soon, and maybe you can join her. I'm sure she could enjoy the company.

I smiled at them and chuckled a bit.

Y:N: Sure, why not? I could always learn something new.

Blake got excited, and hugged me tightly.

Blake: Oh, this is gonna be amazing. I now know what it's like to have a brother now.

I blushed at the idea of being a brother to a girl with cat ears, but then I get flashbacks to Preator, and I smile.

Y/N: Sounds like a plan then.