#9 2:34am

I watched sadly as she accepted another bunch of flowers, this time from Kevin. Today was Ivy's last day working for the club, before she left for America tonight, to begin her studies on a Film course at the University of Manhattan. Media was her passion, and I guess I should have known that she wasn't going to stay at City forever; one day, she'd fly the nest and move on to her next adventure. The sadness that laced my heart was nearly reducing me to tears, but she couldn't know that. I'd got her a present, but I was too scared to give it to her.

"Cheer up, man." Kyle said, sitting down next to me and putting his arm around my shoulder. He knew about my feelings for Ivy, and all he wanted was for me to tell her. "Why don't you just tell her? Or, just forget her, and know that in a month's time, you'll have met another girl that you'll fall head over heels in love with." He was joking, but I couldn't bring myself to chuckle.

"I just can't believe she's actually going." I shrugged.

"What can I say? She's an ambitious girl." He sighed. "Have you given her the scrapbook?"

I ignored him as I watched her with Phil Foden. She threw her arms around him and burst into tears as they embraced. Phil had been like a younger brother to her, and it even made me sad to see them separated. Kyle nudged my arm. "Oh, yeah. No. No I don't think I'm going to either."

"Why not?" He asked.

"It's stupid." I shrugged. "It doesn't matter."

"Whatever, man." Kyle said, standing up and patting me on the back as he walked away. I decided that there was no time like the present, and I made my way over to Ivy as she stood, watching around the room at the team she once called her colleagues. She smiled at me as I approached her, and I couldn't find the words to speak to her.

"I didn't think I could cry any more." She said, holding her arms out for a hug as we held one another in the middle of the room. Everyone mingled around us, and it was as if time moved in slow motion as she stood before me. I couldn't bare to see her go. "I'm just gonna make this short and sweet." She said, composing herself. "Thank you for being my rock when I came to City. I'm going to miss you more than I can explain." I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand as I started to cry. "Don't you start, I'll never stop." She chuckled.

"I've got you a present." I said. "But I don't want you to open it now."

"Okay..." She nodded slowly.

"Give me a second." I rushed back to the table and picked up the present, handing it to her. She looked at it and nodded. She mouthed a 'thank you' as she started to cry again. I hugged her once more, preparing to say my final goodbye to her. I couldn't be here when she left for the last time. "Okay, I'm going to go." I said. "Have a safe flight. Text me when you land."

"I will do." She nodded. As I pulled back from her, she planted a quick kiss on my cheek.

"Bye, Iv."

"Bye, John."

I got into my car and took a deep breath, attempting to hold back the tears. It wasn't a long drive home, and it wasn't until I walked through my front door that I broke down. I walked straight to the kitchen and took a beer from my fridge, opening it and drinking it immediately. I wanted to forget this horrible day. I drunk my sorrows away for what felt like hours, when my phone started to ring. It was Kyle.

"What's up, man?" I asked.

"Woah, are you drunk?" He laughed. "Are you still at home?"

"Yeah." I said. I wasn't in the mood to talk.

"Come outside. We're going for a drive."

"Where to?" I asked.

"The airport."

Within ten minutes, Kyle and I were on the way to the airport. It was only a short drive, and once we were there, it was a mad rush to find her boarding gate. I laid eyes on her across the space, and once she made eye contact with me, her jaw dropped. Turning around and leaving the queue, she rushed towards me. Kyle patted me on the back and stood back as I ran over to her. She stood before me, a confused look on her face. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm sorry." I said. "But I need to tell you."

"Tell me what?" She asked.

"I should have told you before now..."

"John, I don't have long."

"Okay. Here goes. I am so in love with you. I have been for, god, a long time. I couldn't let you go to America without me telling you. So here I am. Making an idiot of myself and telling you I'm in love with you." I rushed. I couldn't make eye contact with her as I spoke. When I finally glanced up at her, she looked sad.

"John..." She sighed.

"Don't." I shook my head. "I just needed to tell you."

"John, wait-"

"No." I shook my head. "I'm gonna go."

I turned on my heel and made my way back over to Kyle. I couldn't look back at her; I couldn't bare to see the look on her face again. I'd made an idiot of myself, and if I never saw her again, it'd probably do me a favour. The ride home was silent, and once he dropped me off, I made my way straight up to my bedroom and fell into a deep, deep sleep.

I awoke to the sound of someone banging on my front door. I rolled over and looked at the time.

2:34am.

Climbing from my bed, I ran down the stairs and pulled open the front door.

"Shit." I muttered.

Ivy rushed towards me, dropping her bags on the floor and throwing her arms around my neck as she crashed her lips against my own. It took me by surprise, but I eventually kissed her back. Pulling her further into the house and kicking the front door shut, I leant her against the wall. I pulled away from her, resting my forehead on her own.

"What are you doing?" I asked, slightly out of breath.

"I couldn't go." She shook her head. "I opened the present."

"What did you think?"

"How long did it take you to make?" She asked.

"A few hours."

"The note at the end." She said. "I had to see you. I had to come here."

"I'm so glad you did." I breathed, kissing her again.