#18 Just a Mum

I don't think I like this one much but hope you enjoy it.

I stared down at my baby boy in my arms; he was my whole entire world, and all I wanted was to make him proud. His father and I had been together for three years, before I fell pregnant, just after my twentieth birthday. Breaking the news to Freddie was the hardest thing I've ever had to do; he was career minded, and nothing ever stood in his way when it came to his job. I was absolutely terrified, and it turns out I had good reason to be. A week to the day I told him was the last time we had seen each other. He disappeared from my life. His family dismissed me, and he moved across the country. In his mother's words "we'd brought shame on the Parker family name", and nothing had broken my heart more.

Going into labour at one of my brother's football matches was interesting to say the least. Harry had scored a goal in the final few moments of their game against West Ham, and jumping up to celebrate, my waters had broken. Thirteen hours and eighteen minutes later, I was holding my baby boy in my arms. Joshua James Maguire. He was the most beautiful baby I had ever seen, and I couldn't believe he was all mine. Taking him home was such a special moment, and seeing my families face when they held him for the first time was something I would never forget.

Joshua may grow up without his biological father, but he'd have three uncles, and the entirety of the Leicester and England squads looking out for him. He was Harry's pride and joy, and he absolutely loved his uncle. He was two months old now, and he'd captured the hearts of all of Harry's fans; he was the star of his instagram account, and I adored their bond.

"I still can't get over how cute he is." Fern said as she played with him. He lay across her lap and he beamed up at her as she tickled his belly.

"What do you expect? He's got the Maguire genes." I joked.

"Takes after his Uncle." Harry said, scooping him up from Fern's lap. A smile lit up on his face as he looked at Harry, and he reached out to touch his cheeks. I loved being so close with Harry and Fern; they'd let me move in with them when I fell pregnant with Joshua and they'd been so supportive ever since. That was the best thing about growing up in a big family; you were never alone. "You are going to be the star of the show at this meal tonight." He cooed.

"I don't know how he'll be." I said, "I think he's tired."

"You two go get sorted, I'll get him to sleep." He said.

I smiled at him. "Thanks, H."

This evening, the England squad and their families were invited to a sit down meal at a hotel in London. Following the meal was a dance, but I had no doubt that Joshua would be fast asleep by then. A taxi was due to pick us up and take us to London within the next hour, and I hadn't packed either of our bags for the night. Rushing upstairs, I threw in some clothes, my outfit for the meal, and packed a bag for Joshua. We were meeting Daisy, mum and dad and the boys at the hotel, and I couldn't wait to see them. Living in Leicester, I felt like we hardly saw them; I worried that Joshua was missing out on growing up around his whole family, but Harry and Fern gave him enough love to make up for it.

*

Daisy had brought her outfit and makeup to my hotel room to get ready with me, and we took it in turns to entertain Joshua as we did our makeup. Once I was satisfied with how I looked, I look my dress out from the wardrobe. I was nervous to wear it; it was a slimline dress, and I couldn't remember the last time I wore anything quite so fancy - especially since giving birth just two months ago. Daisy watched as I changed into the dress, a smirk appearing on her face.