#25 Too Little, Too Late

Request.

FEBRUARY 20TH 2019.

She sat in a calm silence, staring down at her phone. She read the message over and over again. Her heart was breaking in two, but she didn't want to make any assumptions before she'd had the chance to speak to John. This sort of thing happened all the time, but for some reason, this just seemed to be a little more legit. She'd sent the girl a simple response of 'thank you for letting me know', and left it at that. She wasn't going to entertain her before she knew the facts; surely this was a lie.

As if by coincidence, the front door opened, and quickly closed once more. Within seconds, John has appeared in the door way, a smile on his face. "Hi babe." He said, kicking off his shoes and dropping his keys down on the bowl on the table. He could sense the tension in the room already.

"Hi." She said, her voice monotone.

"What's the matter?" He asked.

"We need to talk."

"You're not pregnant are you?" He chuckled. She shook her head. "Okay, because it wouldn't matter if you were. I just don't think we are completely ready for a-"

"John." She sighed. "Who's Danielle Parker?"

His face well. There was her answer.

"Why?"

"Who is she?" She repeated.

"A friend." He lied. He couldn't tell her.

"Anything you want to tell me about your friend?" She asked, her confidence sky rocketing. He dropped his head into his hands. "Because I didn't want to believe it, but your face tells me everything. I can't believe-"

"I love you." He interrupted her, looking up from his hands. "I love you more than anything on this planet and you know that. You know that, don't you? You are my everything and I'll be damned if I lose you because of her-"

"Because of her?!" She cried. "You're the one with a girlfriend! She has NO loyalties to me! I want to hate her, I really do. But how can I? Not when it's my boyfriend that's gone behind my back and cheated on me with some random girl. Well, I say boyfriend, I'm not so sure anymore..." His bottom lip started to quiver as he listened to her speak. "How long, John? And don't lie to me. I already know. I just want to hear the words leave your mouth."

"Four months." He whispered, his voice barely audible.

"How long?" She repeated.

"Four months." His voice cracked as he spoke louder.

She let out a deep chuckle.

"Baby, I love you more than anything. She was just a stupid, stupid mistake. You're my whole entire world. You know I'd die for you. I'd do anything for you."

"Too little, too late, John."

"Baby-"

"Just let me have some time to think, okay." She said. She wanted to forgive him; they've been through so much together and he really did seem sorry, but she knew she'd be an idiot to take him back so easily. "Maybe just go out for a few hours and give me some time." He nodded at her. Standing up from the sofa, he picked up his keys.