#20 I Miss You

I know you're out in Cabo
Hanging with your brother
Wishin' that I was your bottle
So I could be close to your lips again.

My heart sunk as I scrolled through the Instagram photos, seeing you having the time of your life with Kyle and Annie. It should be the four of us there, on holiday, spending the days lazing in the sun, but here I was, at home, wishing I was there with you. You deserved the break; it's been a long season; you've worked so hard. I'm glad you're having fun.

I know you didn't call your parents
And tell them that we ended
'Cause you know that they'd be offended
Did you not wanna tell them it's the end.

I drove past your parents' house the other day. Your dad was taking out the rubbish; he caught a glimpse of my car and he did a double take. I wasn't sure if he'd seen that it was me, but I couldn't bare to glance back at him as I drove past. I miss your family. I miss your mum; her cakes, her comforting words, her positive attitude towards everything. I miss your dad; his inappropriate jokes, and his love for anything football. It's no wonder you're the way you are. Tell them that I miss them.

And I know we're not supposed to talk
But I'm getting ahead of myself
I get scared when we're not
'Cause I'm scared you're with somebody else

I can't tell you how many times I've picked up my phone, and threatened to call, or typed out a text that I'd end up deleting. I'd confess how much I wished things were different, and how I'd still be falling asleep next to you every night. I'd tell you how much I love you, and how I need you in my life. We both said things we shouldn't have, but I can't bare to think of you being with anyone else. Are you seeing someone else? You're mine. No one else's.

So I guess that it is gone
And I just keep lying to myself
I can't believe it
I, I miss you, yeah I miss you
I miss you, yeah I miss you, oh I do
Though I'm tryin' not to right now

I'd end the text with a simple, 'I miss you', but I could never press send.

You weren't a fan of pictures
So I hardly ever took 'em
Got them saved in my mind from the bedroom
So that way I can't forget your skin

I saw you deleted the photos. The birthday posts; the holiday posts; the lazy Sunday morning posts. The pictures were gone. You hated having your picture taken, but I loved it. I loved knowing you were showing me off. I guess that makes me arrogant, but I wanted everyone to know you were mine and no one else's. One day, I'll delete the photos. One day - maybe not today, or tomorrow, but one day, I'll delete the photos, and I'll just be left with the beautiful memories of our years together.

So I saved all the texts
All of the best over the years
Just to remind myself
Of how good it is
Or was

I lay in bed at night and re-read the texts. I scroll through the arguments, wondering where I went wrong; wondering what I could have done differently. I'd have done anything to get you back, but you'd already made up your mind. Sometimes, I forget you've gone. I forget you're out there living your life without me, and I look at the messages, sad that I can't send you our daily 'good morning' text.

And I know we're not supposed to talk
But I'm getting ahead of myself
I get scared when we're not
'Cause I'm scared you're with somebody else
So I guess that it is gone
And I just keep lying to myself
I can't believe it
I, I miss you, yeah I miss you
I miss you, yeah I miss you, oh I do
Though I'm tryin' not to right now
So I saved all the texts
All of the best over the years
Just to remind myself
Of how good it is
Yeah, I saved all the texts off of my ex
Minus the tears
Just to remind myself
Of how good it is
Or was
'Cause I miss you, yeah I miss you
I miss you, yeah I miss you, oh I do
Though I'm tryin' not to right now
I can't help it, I just
Though I'm tryin' not to right now
How? I can't help it, I just....

I looked at the last picture. You're sat on the sand, a beer in your hand, a smile on your face. You look good. So good. I need to speak to you. One text can't hurt. Can it? I close Instagram, opening our texts and quickly typing a quick message. I pressed send.

'I miss you.'