#11 It Feels Like Jealousy

Request.

"Why has Leroy text you again?" John asked, holding up my phone. I took it from his hands and opened the text, chuckling to myself as I read what he'd said. "He's always texting you, and I swear every time I walk past your office he's in there."

"He wanted help ordering new boots." I told him.

"So why is he texting you now?" He asked, his eyebrows furrowed.

"He's just saying thank you for the help earlier." I explained. "It's not that deep."

"Not that deep?" John asked. "My teammate won't leave my girlfriend alone." He snapped at me. He never snapped at me; he never spoke to me like this, but the last few weeks had been tough. We'd argued a lot, and I still wasn't sure what his issue was. "And you can't even tell him to leave off. It makes me look like an idiot that my girlfriend is texting one of my friends."

"You know it's not like that, John." I spat.

"Then why does it look like that?" He asked. "Why do you keep speaking to him?"

"Maybe because recently, everyone else has been giving me more attention than my own boyfriend. Maybe because I can hold a conversation longer than a few sentences with everyone but you. Maybe because, believe it or not, speaking to the boys is part of my job. You were the one who said you were cool with me working there, and then you act like this. Maybe, I fell in love with the wrong one." I snapped. His face dropped and I suddenly felt awful.

"Well if that's how you feel...." He whispered.

"I'm sorry." I whispered. All I'd done over the past few weeks was apologise.

"Leave it." He shook his head.

I took a step towards him and ran my finger down his cheek. "Kiss me." I whispered. "Please." He wouldn't look me in the eyes as he stood before me, his gaze reverted to the floor as we stood in an uncomfortable silence. "John, please." I practically begged, grabbing a hold of his hand. He glanced at me briefly. "Please." He scratched his neck with his free hand, sighing as though he were fed up. "I'm sorry, John." I tried to kiss him, but he turned his head at the last minute and I kissed his cheek instead. Letting go of his hand, I wiped away the tears that were starting to fall from my eyes. "Fine." I nodded. "Fine. I give up." Storming past him, I left my bedroom and ran down the stairs, through the living room door and threw myself down on the sofa. My older sister Lucy looked at me, a look of understanding on her face. "I'm done with him. I'm done. I don't know how many more times I can say sorry."

"Don't say that." She sighed. "You're not done."

"Lucy, I'm done with him. I don't want to be with him anymore." I shook my head. She moved and sat next to me, wrapping her arm around my shoulders as I started to cry harder than before. Lucy didn't say a word as we sat there, neither of us really knowing what to say. "I love him." I finally said. "I love him so much, but this is ruining our relationship."

"You and I both know he's the only one for you. You can tell how much he loves you."

Suddenly, John appeared in the door way.

"Are you really done with me?" He asked. I couldn't speak. "Are we done?"

"I don't know what else to do, John." I shook my head. "I've said sorry, over and over again."

"I can't lose you." He frowned.

"We can't keep doing this every week. It's draining, John."

"We can stop. We are so good together." Tears began to brim in his eyes.

"We were. Something's changed. Things aren't the same anymore."

"I love you." He said, walking over to me. He knelt down in front of me. "I love you so much."

"I love you too, but-"

"Please." He said. "Just stop for a minute and think."

"About what?"

"About the first time we met. You were that 20 year old, naive girl, just joining the team. About the first time we kissed. You swore you never kissed on the first date, but as I dropped you home you kissed me. About the first time you told me you loved me. It was the best day of my life; I'd found the girl I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. I'm sorry for being jealous and insecure; you know I trust you more than anything but I'm so terrified I'm going to lose you. I see the way other guys look at you; I see the way some of the boys are with you at training and it makes me so angry that anyone thinks they can look at you that way. You're mine, and I'll be dammed if I lose you over something so ridiculous."

"You know I'm all yours; no one else matters." I said, placing my hand on his cheek.

"I believe you." He nodded. "I know I shouldn't have got jealous about Leroy. It's your job."

"If me working at the club and having to work with the boys is going to cause issues like this all of the time then I'll leave. I'll find a new job. I just can't keep arguing like this. I feel like I'm apologising for stuff that isn't my fault, but I feel so bad about it. You know it's part of my job and Leroy isn't like that anyway. He's one of your friends."

"I know he is." John nodded. "And I'm sorry. I'm sorry for all of this."

"I know, baby." I smiled. "Me too."