#35 Drive

Request.

Sara chuckled to herself as the read the text from Millie - an article about John and his new girlfriend, Olivia. The article, titled 'Trolling Stones', did nothing but slate John and his recent performance at the UEFA Nations League semi finals.

She felt a slight twang in her chest as she enlarged the photo of the pair of them; he looked sad. Sara and John had been best friends since they were toddlers, their parents best friends since their teens. Sara had supported John through everything; through his transfer to Everton, then more recently to Manchester City - but there was one thing he knew he didn't have her full support.

"Me and Millie split up." He told her.

"What?!" She asked, not believing what she was hearing. "It's three days before Christmas, John! What about Connie?!"

"It just wasn't working." He's tried to reason.

"I can't believe you." She shook her head.

Millie and Sara had become good friends through her relationship with John, and although they did have a great bond, Millie was very understanding of the fact Sara would always have John's back. Though after promising John she would cut contact with his ex girlfriend, Sara had continued to contact Millie on occasions, not wanting to sacrifice their friendship because John was an idiot.

'Awful! I've got to suffer through a family meal with him tomorrow and hear him moping around about the game! X' She'd replied to the text, dropping her phone into her lap and continuing to read her book.

"Janet, lovely to see you!" Sara smiled as she walked through the front door of the Stones family house. "Have you decorated? The walls look different!"

"We have." Janet chuckled. "Thank you for noticing. John's through in the lounge." She told her as she continued to welcome the rest of Sara's family into the house. As much as John had annoyed her, Sara was looking forward to seeing John.

"Alright, shit face." He said as Sara walked through the door. He threw his arms around his best friend, resting his chin on the top of her head.

"I've missed you." She told him.

"I missed you too." He smiled as she pulled back. He watched as Sara's face fell.

"What is she doing here?" Sara asked, motioning towards Olivia sat in the corner of the room.

"Sara-Maria!" Sara's mother cried. "Be nice!"

"I thought this was a family thing." Sara rolled her eyes. John looked between Sara and Olivia awkwardly. "So why is she here?"

"She is family."

Sara looked towards her mother who had a stern look on her face. Biting her tongue, Sara sat down on the sofa, shooting a fake smile towards Olivia.

All of a sudden, the sound of a baby crying echoed throughout the room. Olivia stood from her seat and rushed upstairs. Moments later, she was returning to the lounge, a small baby cradled in her arms.

"Oh, look at his little England kit!" Sara's mum squealed. "He's so adorable!"

"John got it for him." Olivia smiled.

"What about your own kid?" Sara snapped towards John. The room fell silent, all eyes on John. He shuffled awkwardly, shooting a glare towards his friend. "You know what? Fuck this. I'm going home." She stood up from the sofa and her dad grabbed a hold of her arm. "Get off of me! I'm going."

She stormed out of the house and down to her car. Sitting in the drivers seat, Sara burst into tears. She only had a moment to cry before the passenger door was being ripped open and someone climbed in.

"Drive." John told her.

"What?" She asked.

"Drive." He demanded. "We need to talk and you won't do that the whole time she's here." Sara rolled her eyes, starting the engine of her car and pulling away from the house. In silence, she drove the pair to a spot they used to go to as kids. She climbed out of the car and moved to sit on the bonnet. The sun was setting and Sara watched out across the fields.

"She's no good for you." Sara told him as he joined her on the front of the car. "You can tell she's using you for your money and I hate seeing you get mugged off."

"Things have been really hard." He said, taking her by surprise. "You know I hate the media knowing everything about my life and I feel like she posts stuff to get a reaction out of people. I hope Millie doesn't see-"

"Oh, she's seen it." She chuckled.

"You've spoken to her?" He asked.

"Of course I have, John. She was my friend too and you can't expect me to give up my friendship with her because you're with Olivia now."

"How's she doing?" He asked.

"Good." She nodded.

"How's Connie?" He voice broke as he said her name. The tears started to fall from his eyes and Sara wrapped an arm around his shoulder.

"She misses her daddy." She sighed. "She looks so grown up now. Her hair is so long. I know it's only been six months but a lot changes in six months."

"I've fucked up, Sar." He whispered.

"I know." She said. "I know." She lent her head on John's shoulder. "So what about Olivia?" She asked. John shrugged. "Go with your heart."

"It's causing trouble with football." He said. "I'm not concentrating. I've been playing so bad." He looked at her, a look of genuine sadness in his eyes. "I don't know what to do..."

"I think you do." Sara smiled weakly.

I hope this is okay, I rushed it to get it posted!