#38 Home

Just a short one.

John had returned home from training just over an hour ago, and after their dinner, the pair had climbed into bed. It was cold and raining outside, and Rebecca wanted nothing more than to lay in bed and cuddle up with her other half.

John lay his head on Rebecca's chest as they watched last night's 'I'm a Celebrity', and Rebecca ran her fingers through John's hair. He'd grown it out recently, and she loved it. She smiled to herself as John reached out to hold her free hand. He linked his fingers with her own and shuffled around until he was comfortable.

"So how was training?" Rebecca asked.

"Cold." John chuckled. "All I could think about all day was how we could come home and just lay in bed for the rest of the evening. I missed you today."

"I missed you too." She said. "Not long and we've got a couple of days off together."

"Are you coming to the game on Sunday?" John asked.

"If you want me to."

"I want you at every game." He said, "I don't know if I'll play but it still means a lot that you're in the crowd."

"Why wouldn't you play?"

"I hardly play anymore." John said, sitting up and turning to face his girlfriend. "I'm scared they're going to sell me in January." Rebecca frowned at her boyfriend. "And what if it's far away? I can't expect you to up and move again. Not now you're so happy at work. I'd just have to travel. Oh god, what if they sell me to someone abroad? I'd just have to get a house there and come back when I could. I really hope they don't sell me because that sounds like a lot of effort-"

"You're unreal." Rebecca laughed. "Not that I think they'll sell you anyway, but what makes you think I'd want to stay here if you're somewhere else?"

"Your job is here..."

"I can find a new job."

"Your whole life is here. Our home..."

"My home is where you are. Home is not this house. Home is not our material possessions. Home is not where my job is. Home is you. Two eyes and a heartbeat. That's my home."

"What did I do to deserve you?" John said.

Rebecca reached out and placed her hand on his cheek. His stubble was prickly against her hand. She sighed. "You're my whole world. Don't forget that."

She felt sad as she watched her boyfriend. It hurt her heart that he thought so low of himself when it came to football. And it hurt even more that he even considered that she might not move with him if he ever got sold.

"I love you." He said.

"I love you too." She smiled. "And I'll be at the game in my Stones shirt, cheering you on, like I am at every game. I am so proud to wear your name. I don't care what happens in January. I'll be in that crowd regardless of where you are, cheering your name. You give every game your all and any team would be proud to have you."

"Even if it's somewhere cold?" He joked.

"I'll dig out my hat and scarf." She laughed. "But please don't worry. I don't think you're going anywhere."

"I hope not because this is the house I imagine me carrying you over the threshold for the first time as Mrs Stones, and the place where we bring home our first baby-"

"Mrs Stones, ay?" She laughed.

"Yeah." He nodded proudly, a smile on his face. "Not long now and I'll have you locked down." He teased. "Do you see us getting married?"

"Do you think I'd have been with you for five and a half years if I didn't see us getting married?" Rebecca asked.

"What about children? Do you think we'll have any soon?"

"I haven't really thought about it." She admitted. It was true - they hadn't spoken about the idea of having children, not for many years at least. "I hope we'll have some one day. When, I'm not sure."

"I hope we have three." John said.

"Three?" She asked.

"Yeah." He nodded. "Two boys and a girl. The girl will be the youngest and her brothers will look after her." Rebecca couldn't help but smile as she listened to John talk about their future together. Sure, she knew one day they'd get married and have kids, but they'd been together so long now it was sort of just a given. Listening to him speak about it made it all seem so much more real.

It was true. Home is indeed where the heart is.