Chapter 3.3

Kawaguchiko,
Yamanashi

The next day, we visited Nagasawa-san grandparents. They live in the deep mountain of the countryside.

When we said that we want to talk about Nagasawa Nao-san, They have a lot worried about their face. The grandfather in not good condition, so the grandmother is the one who talks with us.

"I'm sorry to suddenly come to your house. We know you are still mourning. But, we want to ask you about your granddaughter, Nagasawa Nao-san, " I said, smiled softly.

Nagasawa-san's grandparents were quite old. I think about how they feel about all this. But, the grandmother seems to be tough facing this problem.

"The police just don't want to do a lot of work, because they found the driver license, they decided that the corpse is Nao. We are both not her actual grandparents, so we can't do the DNA test," She took a deep breath while staring at the photos of Nagasawa Nao-san when he was a child placed right on the shelf next to where we were sitting.

Ayako and I looked at each other, "Is Nao-san is adopted?" I asked.

She shook her head slowly, "No. I'm her grandmother cousin. When Nao parents died in the car accident, she doesn't have a single relative, her grandparents both already passed away too. We don't have children and rather than leaving her in an orphan, we decided to take care of her," she smiled.

I'm actually not good with these kinds of situations, but, if I let Ayako do the investigation, they will start from the time Nagasawa Nao-san was born. We did not come to hear stories like that, "Is that so. I'm very sorry. The police still investigating it. Before that, there is something that I want to confirm with you. Is the man on this picture, is Nao-san boyfriend?" I give her a picture of Yamaguchi Kenta.

She looked surprised and took the photo from my hand, "Eh? No. He's not. We already told the police we don't know this man and he's not Nao boyfriend," she looked at me, "I don't know why they ask us if they don't want to believe what we said," she starts crying.

I was just about to say something, but Ayako held me back. She shook her head. She then looked at the grandmother with a smile, "Obaa-san, I know you must be very depressed in this situation. The police might assume all your words are not important because you are old, but actually it is not like that," Ayako stopped for a moment. The grandmother then looked at her. Ayako then smiled again, "I think those who are older have more sensitive feelings,"

The grandmother looked at Ayako and smiled, "Nao ... always say good things every time we feel sad,"

Ayako nodded, "Let's help Nao-san. I'm sure, she is fine, "

I looked at Ayako and sighed. She shouldn't say that. That's the reason I didn't let Ayako do the interview.

"Do you know about Nao boyfriend?" Ayako asked slowly with a smile.

"Nao comes to visit with her boyfriend last year, they look really happy together. But..." the grandmother look hesitate to tell us. She stopped for a moment.

"Yes?" I looked at her seriously.

She took a breath, "We are really happy to know that Nao-san already has someone she loves. So, one day I come to the city to visit them. But, when I arrive at Nao apartment, she was fighting with a woman. That woman slap her and said, "Stop messing around with my family!" Nao really surprised when she saw me. After that, she confessed to me that his boyfriend already married," she explained with sad expression.