Chapter 5.5

Motoyama-chō,
Kōchi

The next day, Sakuya and I visited a shrine that was deified by the Matsumoto Family since their ancestors moved to this area. The shrine was believed to belong to a Samurai who lived in that area before.

Yui and Naomasa go to find information from the temple priest. While Ayako and Rui look after the house. Kiyoharu himself waited for his brother to provide information about Buddhist priests who had come to this area to help the Matsumoto family a long time ago.

We passed the path surrounded by trees to the shrine with Shosuke-san and Kazuya-kun. The path is very nice and clean. It seems like they clean it regularly. It takes about 15 minutes to walk from the house to the shrine.

"Here it is, the shrine that my family worshipped," Shosuke said as we arrived in front of the shrine gate.

The shrine is not so big, showcase style. Unlike the other shrine styles, it doesn't feature a stairway at the entrance, and the veranda is completely flat. Surrounded by tall trees. The atmosphere is very intense, more sacred.

"Sensei, about what happened last night, is it true that the source of poison is in this shrine?" Matsumoto asked with anxiety.

"You talk about Gu's magic, I find out the information on the internet. It is magic that is used to ask for wealth by making humans as victims, right?" Kazuya looked at us sharply.

"It's impossible, our family, our ancestors did something like that. There's no way we killed our own family members," Shosuke-san looked exhausted.

"Shosuke-san, Kazuya-kun, right now we're looking for the truth. It's good if we don't conclude anything at this time," I smiled.

Suddenly a strong wind came over to us. The trees sway loudly. The dust and leaves around us flying like a small tornado.

"Sensei !!" Sakuya shouted.

I was startled when suddenly a flash of light came towards me and slashed my arms. Like a sickle, fast like the wind.

"Argh !!" I groaned, "Kamaitachi?" I held my left arm, it was very painful.

"Don't mess with us!" Sakuya looks annoyed. He then began to chant the spells, his body instantly filled with membranes. Like heat coming out of the body.

The wind blows harder. In an instant, I could see the line of Shikigami behind him. There are five Shikigami. More than the embodiment of Yokai, Sakuya's Shikigami is more human after an animal. The old stories said, only Shikigami with extraordinary powers that can have such an embodiment.

"What happened?" Kazuya asked. He and his father held on to one of the trees. Ordinary people won't be able to see Shikigami.

"Apparently, Kamaitachi attacked us," I said, "Stay in your place. Sakuya will handle it," I ordered.

I paying attention to Sakuya. In the eyes of Shosoke-san and Kazuya, Sakuya might only be seen standing while reciting a mantra. But, I can see that he is not alone.

Sakuya continued to recite the mantra while closing his eyes. His Shikigami just stood behind him waiting for orders. When Sakuya opened his eyes, he stretched his arms forward, ordering his Shikigami to attack.

I can't hear what Sakuya commands. But, one of his shikigami, immediately moved towards the whirlwinds. The whirlwind enlarged. Causing like tornadoes around the shrine.

Sakuya was just silent staring at the small scale tornado. I also couldn't see clearly what was there. Before long, the whirlwind shrank, so did the trees around the shrine begin to stop moving.