Chapter 6.5

Iya Valley, Shikoku Island,
Tokushima

"Doppelganger? Our double?" Rui widened his eyes.

"In paranormal terms, a doppelganger is a ghostly double of a living person. The word is commonly used to describe someone that looks similar, behaves similar, or even has the same name. These are just social observations on the likeness one person may coincidentally have with another," Naomasa explained.

"However, when it comes to dealing with a possible 'ghost', 'spirit' or 'demonic' doppelganger, it goes from being a casual observation, to be an event that could have quite a negative impact on the individual being copied," Kiyoharu added.

"You mean the spirit inside Akane-chan's body is the Doppelganger of the concubine who died a long time ago? But, how? I don't understand at all," Rui looked confused.

"There are stories I've heard," Ayako said, "There was a girl who was found at the location of a family murder scene. The girl was then detained by the authorities, but she didn't remember anything. Either her name or how she can be in that murder scene. When a police officer came to interrogate her and asked why she could be there. The girl said the spirit of the victim came to ask her for help,"

"Ehh?!" Rui surprised.

"Of course no one believes that. But, she was repeatedly rediscovered at the crime site, even though she was supposed to be in a hospital. One day a high school girl saw that girl in a hospital while visiting her relatives, she then approached the girl. The policeman who saw the high school girl then asked, did she know the girl, then the high school girl answered, she was my classmate. but strangely according to the high school girl, her friend is fine and every day comes to school. Of course, the police was surprised. He also checked and found the same girl at the school,"

"Doppelgänger, right?" I said.

"Yes," Ayako nodded, "The police officer became confused. On the other hand, the girl is always able to move by herself and is always in a place where a crime takes place. She never was seen leaving the hospital by surveillance cameras, just suddenly vanished,"

"Teleportation?" Kiyoharu said with surprised, "I heard about that too. A doppelgänger doing teleportation. Is because they are human-body-less. They actually in the form of a human, but they are not,"

"A friend, then advised the police officer to talk to someone who is an expert. He then went to a priest. According to the man, the girl who lost her memory was a doppelgänger of the girl who was in school. Because of a certain situation, their soul is separated into two. In many cases the doppelgänger, initially the doppelgänger didn't know anything about themselves. And finally, live with a new identity. However, in some cases of doppelgänger that born of the evil spirit, they have binding agreements," Ayako explained seriously.

"Agreement? With who?" Rui asked.

"A demon," Ayako said, "According to the priest, the spirits born of revenge will refuse to go through the death realm. Demons then give them an agreement to help them take revenge. The spirits can't harm humans. But, if a spirit has a human form, they can do revenge. Just like a Tsukumogami, who has a soul after serving their master for more than 100 years, the doppelgänger can also gain from by consuming other spirits. When they get their form and take revenge, the demons will give them 2 choices. They can become slaves of the hell or stay in the human world by consuming the human soul,"