Chapter 6.2

Iya Valley, Shikoku Island,
Tokushima

Three days later, we visited Komura-san's costumer house who is also our client, Kasagi Izumi-san, 27 years old, is a pastry chef. She herself welcomed us when we arrived at her grandmother's house.

"Thank you for coming. I don't know how to deal with all this," Kasagi-san told us while guiding us to the room where the doll was kept, "My grandmother passed away of a heart attack. The maid who found her lifeless when she wanted to wake her up for breakfast. But, she died while sleeping, that's what the doctor said," Kasagi-san told us. From her hoarse voice, we knew that she felt helpless.

"We are sorry," Sensei said.

"My grandmother really loves me," she took a breath, "I'm the only granddaughter, because of that I always come here during holidays when I was little," Kasagi-san smiled

"That means, you are used to all the dolls here? Including the little girl doll?" I asked.

"Oh, that little girl doll was only owned by my grandmother 10 years ago," she said, "So, I don't really know about the doll. When I entered high school, I began to rarely play dolls, I just came to visit grandma,"

"What about the habit of feeding the dolls?" Ayako asked.

"That's also since the little girl doll became a collection of grandmothers," she sighed, "Previously my grandmother always made her own doll. Collecting human-sized dolls had only been done since my grandfather died 10 years ago," Kasagi-san explained.

"That means all the habits are done only for the little girl doll," Rui muttered.

We then stopped in front of a room. Kasagi-san then opened the door slowly. "Here we are, this is my grandmother's doll room,"

We were stunned and shocked to see all the dolls in the room. There are so many types of dolls there. Toddler-sized doll, a child-sized doll, young girl-size doll, then some of a life-sized doll. They stand in clothes and accessories that look expensive. Starting from a pair of clothes, hats, necklaces, watches, shoes, and bags.

None of their hair has the same model. Instead of doll rooms, this room is more like a playground for children or perhaps more precisely a daycare center. All the doll indeed looked alive.

"Is the doll sitting in the rocking chair, the little girl doll you told us about?" Sensei asked, we then turned our eyes to the carved doll of a 5-year-old girl who was sitting in a rocking chair.

"Yes. Her name is Akane-chan," Kasagi-san said, "Akane-chan means deep red, that what my grandma told me,"

Akane-chan sat with a thin smile on her lips. Her black eyes looking straight forward. Her long black hair fell to her waist. She wears a dark red kimono with floral motifs.

The dolls looked really elegant, but also spooky. I don't know why looking at her as if making me feel uneasy.

"A very fancy doll. She's the only doll that wears a kimono. Is there a special reason?" Naomasa asked.

"I don't know either," Kasagi-san sighed, "But, Akane-chan only wears a kimono with this motif. There are lots of the same kimono motif in the closet. I heard, not even once, Akane-chan wears other clothes besides this model, color, and motif,"

"Are all the dolls here eating and change clothes every day like Akane-chan?" I asked.

"Not all dolls are bathed every day like Akane-chan. Only dolls will accompany Akane-chan to eat and play bathed. All dolls here have their turn every 3 days,"