Chapter 5.2

Motoyama-chō,
Kōchi

"Sensei, what is Kamaitachi?" Rui asked while helping Kiyoharu and Sakuya put the equipment in our base.

"Eh, Rui-kun doesn't know what Kamaitachi is?" Ayako explained while preparing several documents at the table with Naomasa.

"Kamaitachi is a type of Yokai in Japanese mythology, usually in mountainous regions like western Japan," I explained, smiling.

"Yokai? You said Yui was possessed by Kamaitachi?" Rui asked again.

"No. Kamaitachi doesn't possess humans but attacked them. There are some views on how they manifests and behaves, but it is common to state that Kamaitachi is a group of three sharp-clawed weasels, moving like gusts of wind, and injuring human skin," I said, "According to legend, the first weasel hit the body of the victim to limp, then the second immediately sliced ​​off the skin of the victim, and the third immediately applied the medicine to the wound, so that when it happened, the victim only felt pain like not bleeding,"

"Ehh ?! Really?" Rui was surprised, "So, is that really Kamaitachi who attacked Yui? Yui-chan, you aren't hurt, right?" Rui asked while looking at Yui who was reading several sheets of paper.

Yui shook her head, "But it feels very painful," Yui muttered while holding her stomach.

"Why don't you check out immediately? It is said that when one gets bit by a Kamaitachi, even though no blood comes out, there is a big opening in the flesh, " Sakuya looked at Yui with a worried expression, "The wound may not appear yet, please be sure to check out regularly, " Sakuya said.

"I already checked out. There no wounds, don't worry about it, " Yu smiled.

"What story is there with Kamaitachi?" Rui asked again.

"In the mountainous regions of Kōchi Prefecture and Tokushima Prefecture among the other areas of West Japan, encountering such a thing is being cut by nogama, the wild sickle and they are said to be the deeds of grass-cutting sickles that have left and forgotten on fields and have ended up turning into Yokai, " Kiyoharu said, he still busy with putting all the equipment.

"A sickle that turns into Yokai? I think only an animal that could turn into Yokai, " Rui said.

"There a lot of story about Kamaitachi. Is different depending on the regions. They are also said to be a sickle's vengeful spirit, onryō, that has turned it into a Tsukumogami, a receptacle that has turned into Yokai", I said.

"Is that how it is. Then, why did she attack Yui?" Rui murmured, "Is Kamaitachi attack anyone?"

"There is no specific information about that, " Kiyoharu sighed, "But, there is written in old literature that Kamaitachi live in puddles after rain, it's said that there are those who played in puddles and those who cross rivers, who encountered Kamaitachi,"

"Is there is a case that peoples died from Kamaitachi?" Ayako asked.

"It is said that the wounds from a Kamaitachi don't result in pain or bleeding at first, but afterwards an intense pain and great amounts of bleeding result, so much that sometimes even the bones can be seen from the wounds opening, and even danger of death. But, the wound just like a normal wound, so it could be healed, " Kiyoharu explained.

"Kiyoharu-kun, you really familiar with Kamaitachi, " Rui said.

"When I was still live in the temple, there a lot of people who come to ask for purification from Kamaitachi. Is really common from my region. Its mountainous area after all, " Kiyoharu said.