Epilogue

Hiroo, Shibuya
Tokyo

Sakuya opened Sensei's apartment door slowly. We stand right behind him. Cold air pierced out from Sensei's apartment room.

We stepped inside. There is nothing there. There are no chairs or tables. There is no tv or refrigerator. There is no bed. There are no dishes. Just empty room like no one ever lived there before. This room feels full of loneliness.

"Doppelganger that born from a spirit doesn't need anything. Sensei is the same. All they need is a soul," Sakuya said while opening the curtain. Direct sunlight invades into the room causing light reflection in every corner of the room. So bright.

"Sakuya, you know everything since the beginning?" Ayako asked.

We silence for a moment. Waiting for Sakuya to answer the questions.

"I met Sensei when I was 7 years old when he tried to save me who almost fell into the river from a cliff height," Sakuya said while took a deep breath. He looked out the window.

The Aikawa family lives in the shrine deep down in the mountainous. From generation to generation, they guarded the shrine. Aikawa family is descendants of Shinto priests, who were believed to have the ability of an Onmyoji.

Onmyōji were specialists in magic and divination. Such abilities are not given by everyone in Aikawa family. Every generation will only have one born as Onmyoji. Of the three brothers, Sakuya is the youngest. And was born with Onmyoji's abilities. He was dealt with high discipline from all his family members.

One day, while accompanying his grandfather. Sakuya sees a cat trapped in a tree branch located on a cliff. He immediately ran to the location to help the cat.

But, when Sakuya trying to help the cat, the cat turns into a very large black cat. Stealth cat. Sakuya shouted for help. His grandfather who saw the incident rushed to help him but was late, the cat grabbed Sakuya, because of his fight, Sakuya slipped and almost fell. He hangs out on a tree branch.

When the stealth cat trying to attack him again. Suddenly someone shouted. The stealth cat immediately disappeared. A young man then immediately tried to help Sakuya. He managed to pull up Sakuya, but when he was about to get up, his shirt was entangled by a tree branch and pulled him to the edge of the cliff, unable to balance his body, the young man fell off a cliff.

Sakuya shouted loudly. His grandfather who arrived could only try to calm him down. However, when they trying to rescue the man body, Sakuya and his grandfather were surprised to find the man standing right beside his own body. The young man had not died at that time.

"My grandfather wanted to save him. But, the stealth cat that attacks me come back to devouring Sensei spirit. But, Sensei is a psychic. And his spiritual energy is strong. When the cat's stealth tried to attack Sensei, he tried to use Kotadana. But, suddenly a blue flame came out from inside his body. And when a stealth cat touches the blue flame, the blue flame actually devouring the cat's stealth, then becomes one with Sensei.," Sakuya explained.

"Ehhh? !!" we were surprised.

"That can't be done by ordinary people. The stealth cat already lives for a hundred years, after devouring the cat, Sensei get a form. He becomes visible, like a human, even though his original body right beside him unconscious, " Sakuya said.

"Kotodama? The ability to control something only with words, right?" Ayako asked.

"Sensei's Kotodama can control anything. Not only humans, animals, and plants, but also spirits, wind, water, and fire. Even my grandfather surprised," Sakuya said, "Sensei doppelgänger doesn't remember anything. Even his name and origin. His original body stayed in the hospital, but after six months no family came to claim to be his family. Grandfather then proposed to take responsibility to be Sensei's guardian,"

"Not a single family has come? Has the information about missing people been spread?" Naomasa asked

"Of course," Sakuya nodded, "The doctor sentenced Sensei to experience brain death. Then one day, a young man experiencing heart failure was rushed to the same hospital as Sensei. The young man needs a heart donor. On the advice of the doctor, the young man's family came to my grandfather and begged my grandfather to donate Sensei's heart. Which means Sensei will die," Sakuya took a breath, "For six months, there were no signs of Sensei's family. Finally, my grandfather agreed and was willing to take responsibility in the future. Sensei could not return to his body because his body was unable to contain sensei's spiritual power which was getting stronger after swallowing the stealth," Sakuya explained, "At the very least, he can help one life,"

"Then, what happened to Sensei's doppelganger after the original body died?" Rui asked.

"He stays with my grandfather a bit far away from the shrine. Sensei, helps grandfather to exorcize the evil spirits. After 49 days devoured all the evil spirits from exorcism, Sensei gained a perfect human form. Before, sometimes his body becomes invisible, " Sakuya said, "My grandfather gave him a name. Then, one day, one of our temple congregation came to ask for help to drive away from the bad things that happened in his family, the man is a police inspector,"

"Oh. That's how sensei become a police officer?" Kiyoharu asked.

"He told Sensei if recruitment was being carried out. Therefore, Grandfather asked Sensei to try it. But, after all, everyone needed an identity to be able to do anything. Grandfather then appointed him as our adopted family,"

"When the case at Kasagi-san's house, I always felt that there was an uneasy feeling every time I passed the mirror, I just didn't realize that Sensei's shadow wasn't reflected there," I said.

"All the trips he did were to find an evil spirit. Why did he bother to bring souvenirs?" Ayako sighed, "If indeed Sensei needs an evil spirit, we can get it for him. That's our job after all. He doesn't need to bother going around,"

"You are wrong. Sensei just wants to run away from his job. He's lazy anyway," Naomasa sighed. We smiled then chuckled.

"He was too stupid to think of something that might not necessarily happen," Kiyoharu nodded, "Making a deal with spirits is a small problem for us. Why does he have to hide something like that,"

"But, Sensei stay more than a week after Gu's poison case, right? Doesn't he need a soul?" Ayako asked.

I thought about that for a moment. The evil presence that I feel around us since we're back from Tokushima, "Sensei ... he devoured the Gu's poison, didn't he?" I said.

"Ehhh ?!" They were surprised.

Sakuya nodded, "Gu's poison in the form of a snake lives hundreds of years by consuming human souls, after eating the snake, Sensei doesn't need to eat souls for a month," Sakuya explained, "The stronger the evil spirit that Sensei devoured, the longer he could survive,"

"Sensei... does he ever devouring human soul? I mean aside of evil spirits?" Kiyoharu asked.

Sakuya shook his head while took a deep breath, "Not once. He said to my grandfather, he rather vanished or go to the hell, rather than doing it,"

"Sakuya, as long as Sensei devoured evil spirits, he will stay alive like a human, won't he?" Kiyoharu asked.

"Yes," Sakuya nodded.

"Does that mean, somewhere in this world, Sensei is still alive, right?" Rui asked.

"Yes," Sakuya nodded.

"So, there always a chance for us will meet again with Sensei, right?" Naomasa asked.

"As long as the evil spirits still roaming around the world, we will definitely meet again," I took a deep breath.

We looked at the reddish afternoon sky inside Sensei's apartment. The light goes into the room, giving beautiful red and yellow reflections.

Somewhere, someplace, as long as we still have this power ...
Surely ... someday, we will meet again, Sensei.

And then...
Shibasaki Detective Agency no longer exists.

The end