Chapter 4.4

Hikone-shi,
Shiga

I took a deep breath when I tell them what happened on the 2nd floor. About the woman sitting in front of the fireplace and talked to me.

"She asked us to leave this house?" Naomasa asked, "But, why? She's not Hanazaki's wife spirit. Who's the woman?"

"Is she one of the maids here?" Ayako asked, "The ghost that we called before?"

"But, she is not like a maid," I said, "Why does a maid wear a beautiful nightgown? And I don't feel there is an evil aura. It's just that, her presence feels so cold and painful,"

"Nakagawa-san, don't you know about this? About the maid who died at this house? Or the ghost of the woman?" Naomasa asked. "Does your mother know anything about this house? This house was passed on to her father before, right?"

Nakagawa-san shook her head. "Yes. But, my mother never visited this place, nor did I. After my mother married, she moved with my father far away. And my mother's father never lived here before, he just asked people to continues the renovations,"

"How about a missing people?" Noamasa asked, "Don't that happen when your mother's father time?"

"I never hear anything about that," Nakagawa-san shook her head.

"Nakagawa-san, you said that your mother's family was cursed?" Naomasa asked again, "Why is that?"

Nakagawa-san took a deep breath, "I heard this story from my mother and my aunt, they said the men born to my mother's family, the Hanasaki family, all died young since my great-grandfather's time," she said, "My great-grandfather has 7 children. 5 daughters and 2 sons. The two sons died when they were 21 and 26 years old. Both of them had sons, similar things happened. They died. Mostly because of illness or accident, " Nakagawa-san stopped for a moment, she looked nervous for some reason, "Now, my mother's oldest sister is continuing the Hanasaki family. She is married and her husband taken Hanasaki family's name,"

"Do they have sons?" I asked.

"No. They don't have any. They have 3 daughters. My mother has 5 siblings. 2 sons and 3 daughters. Both of my mother's brothers died when they were 10 years and 15 years old. My mother's younger sister, married and took her husband's family name, so does my mother, "

"Does nobody know the cause? " I asked her, "Or maybe, has your family ever done something about it? For example, calling a monk or priest?"

"No, we don't have a clue," Nakagawa-San sighed, "I heard a number of times the Hanasaki family called experts, but there was never a result. There was a monk who said that this family was cursed by someone. We had to find the source of the curse to purifying," Nakagawa-san explained.

We were all silent for a moment. Is the Hanasaki family cursed?

"Nakagawa-san, can we meet with the Hanasaki family?" Naomasa asked, "Your aunt and also your mother?"

Nakagawa-san fell silent. She seemed to think anxiously, "If ... it is really needed, I will try talking to my mother and aunt,"

***