Chapter 5.6

Motoyama-chō,
Kōchi

"A snake?" Ayako was surprised.

"Not just a snake, a big snake. He lives, consumes the human soul from the Gu's victim more than 200 years," I explained, "And he has become a demon, "

Everyone had gathered at the base when we return.

"It's impossible," Yui muttered.

"By the way, about Buddhist practitioners who came to help the Matsumoto family, it was my great-grandfather's brother. It happened in Showa 24," Kiyoharu began to telling us.

"Showa 24, which means 1949, almost 70 years ago," Naomasa said.

"The story is like this. Our temple received a request to an exorcism and purification from the Matsumoto family who came to our temple. My great-grandfather's younger brother was sent to do the task," Kiyoharu said, "While carrying out the exorcism, he was attacked by Kamaitachi. Actually, he could have fought against it, but he said that his body felt wrapped by something. He was unable to do anything and was unconscious afterwards. He suffered wounds all over his body, like a cut. He was in a coma for more than a month, "

"So, he didn't die because of an exorcism?" Ayako asked.

"No. He died of illness, but at that time he was 87 years old, so I think it's normal," Kiyoharu said.

"I see," I sighed deeply, "What about the story about the Samurai family?" I looked at Naomasa and Yui.

Naomasa pulled out a pile of paper, "I will start about the Samurai family that owned this area before. They have lived in this area since the Nara period. And it is said that the Samurai family has been suspected of manufacturing Kudoku for generations, " Naomasa said.

"Suspected? They can't confirm it?" I asked.

"There are many stories written. Formerly this village was a very remote area but very famous for its fertility and the quality of their vegetables. A long time ago, people used to have to cross the hills to get here on foot. It was said that many were scared after returning from this village, " Naomasa said.

"The first story was written by one of the heads of the temple. He heard this story from one of the traders who came to this village. It was told that he came to buy fruit and vegetables. He stayed in one of the residents' houses, then met his daughter. After staying for 2 days, he immediately left the village to return to his village. But, strangely, every full moon without realizing he always returned to this village, " Naomasa explained.

"Without realizing it?" Ayako looked confused.

"He doesn't seem to remember how he finally got to this village. He doesn't even remember planning to go there. It keeps repeating every full moon. One time he couldn't go to this village because of the bad weather. That night he felt his whole body hurt like a cut. Because his family was suspicious, his parents then told the temple priest, and the priest said that he might have been exposed to Gu's poison, " Naomasa-said, "The next day, he immediately returned to this village, and strangely all the wounds on his body disappeared and he didn't feel pain anymore. Angry, the young man then went to the girl's family and scolded them. The next day he died, fell from a cliff on the edge of the river,"

"Ehh !! So cruel," Ayako looked surprised.

"Another story said. At that time, the village was very poor. Even though it had fertile land, because of frequent floods and landslides, their harvest never succeeded. But, all of a sudden, everything changed. Their harvest always succeeded, even floods and landslides never touched their villages again, " Yui said.