Younger

Kevin's Pov

Months of ruminating pass and I finally decide to invite a couple of my friends over and tell them my big secret.

Well, it's nothing too major, but it is something that I wanted to keep to myself before I'd let anyone know how things were going.

After a few drinks and a sudden boost in my confidence I decide to tell them.

"I'm dating again.. I'm dating this woman and she's amazing."

I mentally prepare myself for their possible questions and general comments.

AJ was the first to say something "Good for you man."

The others mumbled in agreement.

Brian walked over and patted me on the back "Well cuz, they us about her."

I clear my throat "What can I say she's smart, sexy and kind. When I saw her for the first time everything else around us seemed to fade away. I don't know if I ever felt this way before."

Howie let out an "Aww."

Nick seemed to sense my hesitation to go any further and asked anyway "So, how old is she?"

Here we go again...

I explain "Not too young, but there sort of is an age gap between us.."

AJ asked "How big of an age gap? Like if you to went out would they think that you're her boyfriend or???"

Brian cuts off Aje and laughs "Would they mistake you for her father?"

I try to laugh off their jokes "Guys c'mon. I'm in my late forties and she's in her early thirties, alright?"

I guess it came out harshier than I intended it to.

I knew I shouldn't have told them and just waited till we either broke up or got married.

There's a semi-uncomfortable silence.

"So... What's it like dating a younger woman?"

I sigh.

"Nick, her age shouldn't be the focus of this conversation."

"Kev I know I'm just trying to break the tension in here. So how long have you two been together?"

I pause and try to calculate months of pure bliss "Around eight--nine months, but I've known her for at least two years."

"Oh God! Is she pregnant?" AJ gasps and laughs at his own joke.

"Yes."

I smirk and fold my arms across my chest. I only said just to mess with them.

Howie spits out some of his beer.

"Sorry guys. Can someone hand me a paper towel?"

"Wait seriously?" Brian passed the roll to Howie.

"Thanks."

I wait for a few seconds to mess with them some more "No, she's not pregnant. Now can you all stop making lame ass jokes, please?"

AJ sighed "Okay we'll stop. We're just busting your balls for a second. I'm really happy for you."

Brian nods "Yeah we're all happy for you, but of course we'll have to meet her just to be sure she's perfect for you."

"Exactly, you're always so protective of us and we want to be there for you." Nick puts his hand on my shoulder.

Howie raises his hand "Not to ruin the moment here, but I'd like to say that I was the only that wasn't acting like a little bitch."

**************
After the guys left I decided to go ahead and get ready for bed.

I get out the shower and look in the mirror for a few minutes.

Am I too old for my girlfriend?

Is she too young for me?

Not to pat myself on the pack or anything, but I know that I've aged very well. I just can't help, but wonder if I don't look young enough to date her.

I know it doesn't matter, but I can't ignore my bruised pride.

I decide to drown out my thoughts with some tv and become a little too invested.

"Do Carrie and Big really belong together? Wait his names John!?"

The bedroom opens and I look up to see my sugar honey bear boo..

Note to self: Come up with a better pet name before she leaves me.

"Hey baby, how were the girls?" I sit up and mute the tv.

She takes of her shoes and coat "They were really nice I think they might like me."

"How'd the guys take the news?" She breezes through the room from the closet to the dresser.

I sigh "They took it pretty good actually."

I debate on whether or not to tell her about what they said or let her know about my current insecurities in this relationship.

"Baby what's wrong?" She stops unzipping her dress.

"Nothing it's just... I-I don't. Are you comfortable with our age gap?"

"Kevin, of course I am. What made you think that I wasn't?"

"No you didn't do anything, it's me. I don't know if I'm too.."

She marches over to me "Don't you even say it. Look, you're the man of my dreams don't you ever feel like- like I'm too young for you or that you're too old for me."

I move over as she sits on the bed "I love you Kevin, that's all that matters."

She leans down and kisses me.

I hold onto her like my life depended on it before breaking the kiss. "Thank you, I needed to hear that."

She smiles and snuggles into me.

I reach for the zipper on her dress and pull and she shimmies out of it.

"Sooo.. Your saying nothing matters as long as you love me?"

She laughs "You're so corny. This. This is why I love you."

I grab the remote and turn off the tv.