Memories (Pt. 1)

"How long will you be gone this time?"

I look down at Nick's packed bags feeling completely hopeless.

"We'll be on the road for a year in a half, but I'll see you in six months."

He noticed my sadness and walked over to hug me.

"It's okay, I'll see you in six months. We'll go out and have a great time or we can just stay in and watch movies."

He wiped the tears from my face. "Okay?"

"Okay." I nodded and he pulled me into a hug.

I knew he'd be leaving, but so soon? It felt like my heart was being ripped out of my chest.

I pulled away and tried to compose myself.

"I was going to wait until six months to give you this, but it seems more appropriate to have it now."

Nick unzipped his suitcase and pulled out two small boxes. Opening just one of them to reveal a small ring.

"Nick.."

"I just wanted to show you that I'm serious about us. That you're the only one for me, that distance won't break us up."

He handed the other box to me, which I figured held his promise ring."

"Can you give me your hand?"

I nodded and held it out.

He smiled and slipped the silver band on my finger then kissed my hand.

I opened the box and placed the ring on his finger.

Nick held me in his arms and pressed a kiss to my forehead.

"Six months."

I sighed "Six months."

****Three Months Later****

"You what!?" I screamed over the phone.

"Me and the guys are going on tour!!"

"That's amazing Joey! I'm really happy for you guys, are you going to be in Europe? Where Nick and the guys are."

"Yeah I think so, JC is better at remembering these things. Anyway we need to hangout before we go."

The last part sounded more like a question than a statement. Clearly not wanting to cross any lines.

"Yeah definitely. Let me know what works better for you."

"Will do. Talk to you later, doll."

"Bye Joey."

I laugh. I always hated when he called me that it was corny then and it's corny now. That's probably why he still says it. He shouldn't even be calling me that anymore, but I still let him. No harm in referencing the past.

My phone rings and I casually look before answering. My heart skipped a beat and I did a little happy dance.

"Hey baby." I smile

Nick chuckles "Hey babe. Guess what?"

"What?" I walk across my room and add a post-it note with "Joey hangout day" in my planner.

"Did you hear me?"

"Huh, no sorry. I was doing something."

"Like what?" He laughed at his own innuendo.

I could practically see his eyebrow arching when he said it.

"Not that, nasty. Tell me what you were gonna say."