Chapter 14: Promise

I woke up with a start and I saw the sun shining through the curtains.

I sighed and relaxed, resting my hand on my face. I then peaked through my fingers.

How did I get on the couch? Where did this blanket come from?

Derek?!

I shot up and looked around and I saw Derek placing two plates on the table, filled with eggs, toast, and bacon.

"Good you're up, I made breakfast," he said setting the plates down.

I smiled and ran to him, wrapping my arms around his neck.

He probably wasn't one for anything physical but I didn't care. He was alive.

His arms wrapped around my waist loosely.

"I thought you were dead..." I whispered. "I didn't know what to do- I just left you in the car- and then Stiles and Scott in the school- and Allison, Jackson, and Lydia all came with the alpha in the building- the janitor was killed- I don't know how we made it through the night- Scott sacrificed himself but he's fine- we made it out- and then you I didn't know where to bring you," I spilled out and Derek stepped back, studying me as I talked. "I really worried you wouldn't make it and then-"

He gently placed a finger on my lips and I stopped talking.

"You're foods getting cold," he whispered.

I bit my lip and softly smiled. "Eggs and bacon... I should've guessed."

He softly smiled and I sat down.

I watched him, he still seemed weak but otherwise, fine.

"I washed your sheets- I hope you don't mind," he added. "They were a little bloodied."

I took a bite of my toast. "Mind?! Jeez if I knew getting a little bit of your blood on my sheets would make you wash them, I would've given you a paper cut sooner."

"Thank you," he said, taking my hand.

"There's something else you should probably know... Scott kinda told everyone that you're the mass killer. So... I'm hold a fugitive."

Derek's eyebrows furrowed.

"We'll figure it out like we did before. We will find the real killer."

Derek slowly nodded.

I bit my lip and looked down. "Tonight's also a full moon."

Derek nodded.

I shook my head and ran my hands through my hair.

Last night was enough to give me nightmares for the rest of my life.

Every time I blinked I saw Derek being impaled and blood coming out of his mouth, being held up by the alpha.

I listened to his heartbeat, the only thing that seemed steady right now, the only thing from keeping me breaking down.

"We need to find Scott before he does anything."

"Right, well I have work, you're welcome to stay until you know the whole fugitive thing disappears and you can look for Scott," I said, taking my last bites of breakfast. I put my dish in the sink and changed in my bedroom, noticing the bed made. I walked out, grabbing my purse.
"Breakfast was wonderful, I may just keep you."

"I hope so."

I turned and looked at Derek who was standing a foot away from me if that. "Be careful, I don't want blood or mud dragged in tonight," I smiled.

"Of course."

"Promise? Be careful..." I whispered, serious.

I looked up at him, hoping he didn't see how worried I was about him.

"I promise," he answered, fixing the collar on my jacket to lay right.

I softly smiled and headed out.
~
When I got home later that night I got a text. The full moon was in minutes and Derek found Scott.

I quickly ran out the door and headed to the school, of course.

I arrived and Derek and Scott were panting. I looked between them.

"Really?" I asked, crossing my arms, knowing they had just fought.

I shook my head and helped Derek carry Scott home.

We got him into his bedroom and Derek started to leave.

"Wait. I can't do this. I can't be this and be with Allison. I need you to tell me the truth. Is there a cure?"

I looked at Derek, I never thought of a cure before.

"For someone who was bitten? I've heard of one," he answered, glancing at me. "I don't know if it's true."

"Well, what is it?"

"You have to kill the one that bit you."

"Kill the Alpha?"

"Scott. If you help me find him, I'II help you kill him."

We walked out of his house and I grabbed Derek's arm.

"Derek, we can't help a sixteen year old boy kill someone. Don't let him do it... he is innocent and should never have blood on his hands. Your job is to protect and help him! Promise me you won't let him kill! You do anything to keep him from doing that! Promise me!"

Derek looked at me and then back at the house and sighed. "I promise..."