Chapter 58: Petty Revenge

Derek and Peter put their shirts and shoes on and we slowly opened the door into another room, Derek keeping me close.

We cautiously walked forward and we stopped at a big box.

Derek went to open it but he pulled back as there was some sort of barrier.

"It's made from a Rowan tree," Peter said.

We looked at him.

"It's mountain ash wood," he further explained.

We then all looked at Braeden. When she noticed our stare she sighed and kicked the lock and opened it up.

We glanced behind us to make sure no one was coming in.

"And that would be just mountain ash," Peter sighed. "Somebody really doesn't want our hands in there."

Derek slowly pulled me closer and in front of him so he blocked me if anyone came in.

Braeden put her hands in the mountain ash and pulled out a wood cylinder.

She handed it to Derek and I studied it and notice it was a triskele just like Derek's tattoo.

I glanced at Derek, this was something to do with his family.
~
We stepped into the loft and I sighed at being home.

"Hey," Jessie said, carrying Erik to me.

"Hi!" I said, so happy to see my children. "Thank you so much," I told Jessie.

"Yeah, no problem," Jessie said, grabbing her purse.

Once she left I picked M'Lynn up as well and sat on the couch, having the two on my lap.

Derek sighed and gently took M'Lynn and held her, setting the wooden cylinder down.

"Is anyone going to help me?" Peter asked, still holding his decapitated finger.

Derek sighed and set M'Lynn down in her swing and grabbed some thread and a needle.

"Ow! Don't you have any anesthetic?" Peter whined as Derek sowed his finger back on.

"Yep," Derek said and Peter glared at him and I smirked.

"Well, are you at least going to tell me what I risked life and digit for?" Peter asked as Derek finished stitching him up.

"I'm going to show you," he said, opening the cylinder and tipping it over.

I got up and went and sat at the table next to Derek and saw five claws.

"After the fire, that's all that was left of her," Derek said.

I gently placed my hand on his shoulder and he took my hand, intertwining our fingers.

"Talia," Peter awed. "I can't decide if that's touching or morbid. I guess the real question is, what are you planning on doing with them?"

"I have to ask her something," Derek said,  glancing at me. "And from what I've heard, this is the only way it's possible."

"You gotta be kidding me," Peter groaned, looking at his hand.

Derek stood up and grabbed the cylinder.

"You know, there's always an element of danger to rituals like this," Peter warmed. "I'm not particularly fond of them. Unless they somehow benefit me," he finished.

Derek stopped putting the claws back in and glanced at him. "What do you want?"

"I want to keep them."

We looked at Peter skeptically.

"Sentimental value."

We raised our eyebrows.

"She was your mother, but she was also my sister."

Our glances didn't change.

"What? Am I not allowed a little bit of sentiment?"

Derek sighed and put the last claw in and pushed it towards Peter.

Peter sighed and looked in it and started to put his hand in but then pulled out.

"Too long," Derek said.

"No! No, wait!" Peter yelled, but it was too late, Derek shoved his hand in the rest of the way and Peter yelped and pulled out and the claws were now on his hand.

"That's not exactly my color," Peter said, looking at them.

Derek pulled out a chair and straddled it, facing and resting his arms on the back of it.

I took the other chair and sat on it, facing him.

He glanced at me and I slowly smiled and I took his hand.

"This is going to be excruciatingly painful," Peter said.

"Just do it," Derek answered through clenched teeth and gripping my hand firmer and I nodded as he looked me in the eyes.

"Oh, I'm going to. I just wanted you to know we all have our petty revenges," Peter said, jamming his claws into Derek's neck.

Derek sucked in a breath and squeezed my hand in pain.

I glared at Peter, but he also was under the trance.

I took a deep breath and hoped that the dangers of this ritual wouldn't get in the way.

Finally Peter stumbled back and Derek lurched forward.

I quickly placed my hands on his shoulder and placed a hand on his cheek.

I studied his eyes to make sure nothing went wrong as he took deep breaths.

"Are you okay?" I whispered quickly.

Derek  quickly stood up and looked at Peter.

"Did you see her? What did you ask her? Did she say anything about me?" Peter asked and then saw Derek's face.  "Well, that doesn't look good."