Chapter 34: Make A Decision

We ran to the Hale house and Derek pulled me inside.

"It's Scott," Derek said.

"What?" I asked, trying to catch my breath.

"Scott, He's giving information to Gerard, he told him everything."

"How do you know?"

"I heard him at the police station."

I stood there shocked, wondering how Scott could do this to us but in the end it was for Allison.

The pack was out Derek had told them to be back by sunrise. He had given them the choice to stay and fight or to leave. So far no one had showed up.

Derek leaned on the table and I studied the burnt fireplace, the detail was incredible even for being damaged.

I heard Erica and Boyd walk in.

"You decided," Derek said and I turned and saw them. "When?"

"Tonight," Erica answered.

They were leaving us.

"Everyone's gonna be at the game," Boyd added. "And we figured it was the best time."

"It's not like we want to."

"What do you want?" Derek asked, looking at them.

"Since I just turned 16 a month ago, I wouldn't mind getting my license. I can't do that if I'm dead, you know."

I sighed, they were just kids. We honestly couldn't expect them to just fight and possibly die when they could escape with their lives. They were terrified.

"Well, I told you there was a price," Derek added.

"You didn't say it would be like this," Erica said.

"Yeah, but I told you how to survive. You do it as a pack. And you're not a pack without an Alpha."

"We know," Boyd said.

I looked at him, stepping closer to Derek.

"You wanna look for another pack? How are you even gonna find one?" Derek asked.

"We think we already did."

"How?" I asked.

"Like all of a sudden we heard all this howling. It was unbelievable. There must have been a dozen of them."

"Maybe more," Erica added.

"Yeah, or maybe only two," Derek said quickly.  "You know what the Beau Geste effect is? If they modulate their howls with a rapid shift in tone, two wolves can sound like twenty."

"Look, that doesn't matter, okay?" Erica answered, raising her eyebrows. "There's another pack out there. There's got to be. We've made up our minds."

"We lost, Derek," Boyd said. "And it's over. We're leaving."

"No. No, you're running. And once you start, you don't stop. You'll always be running."

Boyd and Erica looked at each other and then Derek and left.

Derek looked at me.

"Have you made your decision?" He asked, resting his hands on the table and looking down.

"I have.."

He didn't look at me and I slowly wrapped my arms around his waist and rested my head on his back.

"You're my husband. My alpha. I'm not going anywhere."

I felt him sigh under me.

"I just can't fight with you-" I started and I felt him tense up and he turned and faced me, his eyebrows furrowed.