Chapter 40: Through A Memory

I woke up slowly and turned and saw Derek changing M'Lynn's diaper and then bringing her up and holding her close.

I softly smiled. It had been three days since she was born and Derek was always there to help.

He gently laid her in the crib and then slowly climbed into bed.

"Morning," I whispered and he kissed me.

"Good morning."

I smiled and he gently caressed my arm and stared at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing," he smiled and kissed me again. 

I sighed and slowly got out of bed.

I went and made breakfast and Isaac came down.

"Isaac, I think it's time we try a different technic to remember," Derek said.

Isaac raised his eyebrows and looked at Derek.

"We'll need Peter."

"Okay..." Isaac whispered.

We got ready and Derek called Peter and Isaac paced in front of the windows.

"You're pacing is making me nervous," I said, sitting down, M'Lynn in her bouncy seat.

Isaac raised his eyebrows as Derek sat at the table, old books surrounding him as he flipped through the pages.

"You know, I'm starting not to like this idea," Isaac said. "Sounds kinda dangerous. You know what? I definitely don't like this idea, and I definitely don't like him."

"You'll be fine," Derek said.

"Does it have to be him?"

"He knows how to do it. I don't. Would be more dangerous if I tried doing it myself."

"You know Scott doesn't trust him, right? You know, personally, I'd well, I'd trust Scott."

Isaac glanced at Derek and then me.

I glanced at Derek.

"Do you trust me?" Derek asked.

"Yeah," he answered slowly. "I still don't like him."

"Nobody likes him."

I laughed at the true statement.

"Boys. F.Y.I. yes, coming back from the dead has left my abilities somewhat impaired, but the hearing still works. So I hope you're comfortable saying whatever it is that you're feeling straight to my face," Peter said walking in.

"We don't like you," Derek said, slamming his book shut.

"And learn to knock," I said, crossing my arm.

Peter turned his head to me, rolling his eyes. "Nice to see you too-"

"I didn't say it was nice to see you."

"Now shut up and help us," Derek said before Peter could say anything.

"Fair enough."

Isaac sat in the chair and Derek and I took the couch. Derek resting his elbows on his knees, hands clasped, his usual waiting position.

I sat next to him, my knee touching his as my hand rested on his leg.

"Relax," Peter said to a very anxious Isaac. "I'll get more out of you if you're calm."

"How do you know how to do this, again?" Isaac asked.

"It's an ancient ritual used mostly by alphas, since it's a skill that requires quite a bit of practice. One slip, and you could paralyze someone," he started, his claws lightly touching Isaac's neck. "Or kill them."

"You- You've had a lot of practice, though, right?"

"Well, I've never paralyzed anyone."

Derek and I looked at Peter with our eyebrows furrowed.

"Wait, does that mean that you-" Isaac started but Peter jammed his claws in, making Isaac flail.

I jumped up, ready to stop this, but Derek caught my hand, stopping me.

Isaac failed again and this time Derek got up.

"Wait, I see them," Peter said.

We stopped and I gripped Derek's hand tightly, itching to just stop this.

Isaac finally yanked away with a gasp and Peter rushed to the other side.

I was at Isaac's side and gently cupped his face, studying his eyes for any sign of complications.

"I'm okay," he whispered.

I looked at his neck which seemed to be healing and I gently rested my hand on his shoulder.

"What'd you see?" Derek asked.

"It was confusing.Um, im-images.Vague shapes."

"But you saw something."

"Isaac found them."

"Erica and Boyd?"

" I barely saw them. I mean, glimpses."

"But you did see them."

"Worse."

I glanced at Derek.

"Deucalion. He was talking to them. Something about time running out."

"What does it mean?" Isaac asked.

"He's gonna kill them," Derek said.

"No, no, no, no, no, he didn't say that. He did make them a promise that by the full moon that they'd both be dead."

"The next full moon?" Derek asked sharply.

"Tomorrow night," Peter clarifies.