Chapter 81: Pushing Boundaries

It had been a week and everyday Derek and Peter had been searching for Kate to no avail.

Derek was studying the pieces of possible evidence where Kate might have been.

I came up behind him and wrapped my arm around his waist.

"I have an idea," I said.

He turned his head and looked at me. "What is it?"

"I still have Breaden's number, she might be able to help us find Kate. It'll come at a price though," I answered.

"I don't think we have a choice," Derek sighed.

I softly rubbed his arm. "I'll give her a call?"

Derek nodded. "I'll call Peter."

Within a half hour the two were at the loft.

We all sat down to discuss a price and Breaden popped her feet up on the table.

"That table's Italian," Peter remarked.

"So are these boots," she answered.

"This also isn't your house Peter," I added, crossing my arms.

Derek hid a smile and placed a hand on my thigh.

"Are we going to talk interior designing fashion or are we going to talk numbers?" Breaden asked. 

Peter handed over a paper with a price on it.

Breaden took it and crossed it out and wrote a new number, passing it back.

"We're hiring you to find Kate, not assassinate the President," Peter said, looking at it.

"I was hired by the Calaveras to find Kate. You're hiring me to find her first. Going against the Calaveras is what's going to cost you."

Peter started to write a new number when Derek took the paper and ripped it. "We'll pay. Just find Kate, that's all we want."

Breaden smiled and nodded, leaving.

I could tell Derek was bothered by his eyes.

He stood up and went to the table, leaning on it and I followed him.

"Are you insane?" Peter asked.

"We don't have a choice. We spent a week looking for her and came up with nothing."

"If we don't find out, who told Kate about the vault, we don't get those bonds back! What do you think I'm gonna do then, huh? Get a job?"

"That is what normal people do," I remarked, stepping in front of Peter.

"My resume is slightly out of date," he sneered.

"There are books for dummies on how to write resumes."

"We got robbed, Derek. Robbed!" He said over me.

"No," I answered and Peter glared at me. "You got robbed. We have money. You're the only one who's getting screwed over here," finished pointing at him.

Peter quickly grabbed my arm roughly, yanking me towards him.

I braced for the attack.

Derek quickly grabbed Peter's arm, yanking it off me, making him release me. Derek pulled me behind him and roared loudly at Peter.

"Don't. Touch. Her," Derek growled slowly, stepping back so his body was pressed against mine, pinning me against the table, making it impossible for Peter to reach me.