Chapter 52: Sacrificing Power

"She's dying, isn't she?" Isaac asked as Derek sat next to Cora who was laying in the bed.

She looked like she was dying and it was my fault.

I tried doing what I could, which wasn't much.

"I don't know," Derek answered.

"So what are you gonna do?"

"I don't know."

"Want to figure something out? Because while Scott and Stiles were out there trying to help people from being killed, you were in here, rolling around the sheets with the actual killer. Do you get how many people she's killed? Erica and Boyd are dead, Cora is dying, and you are doing nothing!" Isaac yelled and Derek didn't say anything or move.

I stood up slowly.

"Why'd you do this to us, Derek?" Isaac continued, getting close to his face.  "Was it all about the power? Were you bored? Were you lonely?"

"Maybe," Derek whispered. "I told Cora I wouldn't leave. I'll help the others when I figure out how to help her."

"There's no time!" Isaac yelled.

"Isaac!" I shouted, pulling him away from Derek.

"The full moon's coming. The sheriff and Melissa are going to be dead, so I'm going to try and help them. You can sit here and perfect the art of doing nothing," Isaac continued.

"Isaac," I seethed.

I yanked him out of the room.

"What is all that?!" I asked. "How can you be so insensitive?!"

"How can you still be on his side?!"

"His sister is dying! She stopped breathing on stiles and I, should could die at any moment! He deserves to be there if it happens! If he isn't- do you know how he will feel? Can't you understand?"

"Others are dying too."

I pinched the bridge of my nose. "I know," I sighed. "But Derek needs to stay with her, please, right now just..." I was at a lost for words. Everything that was happening, it was different when you weren't around it and two hours away.

"I'll find a way," Isaac said, squeezing my shoulder.

"Be careful, and don't be so hard on Derek, please, he just got Cora back and now she might taken from him."

Isaac nodded and left and I walked back into the loft.

"I wouldn't take it personally," Peter said. "Anger is just a tool. He's using it to excuse shifting allegiance from one Alpha to another. From you to Scott."

"Scott's not an Alpha yet," Derek said.

"But he's on his way, isn't he?"

Derek didn't answer and took Cora's hand and started to take her pain away.

"Careful," Peter warned as I got closer.

"Don't worry. I know going too far could kill me."

I wanted to comfort Derek but I didn't know how when we both knew it was my fault.

"That's not exactly what I meant," Peter said.

Derek stood up and stood by the table, crossing his arms, looking at Peter with question.

"I've heard it's something only an Alpha can do, and with good reason."

"Which is?"

"You know normal wolves never abandon an injured member of the pack. They care for it. They bring it food from a kill and then regurgitate it into the mouth of the injured wolf. They even give it physical and emotional comfort by intensely grooming it. In a way, they can do more than just ease pain. They can be instrumental in healing their own."