27

The next day, I saw Emilia approaching to me with a radiant smile. There was something different about her, but I couldn't place a finger on it.

"Do I look different?" She asked as she gave me a twirl.

"You brushed your hair?" I furrowed my brows with confusion.

"No!" She lead out a high pitched laugh. "I mean, am I glowing? I swear, I woke up this morning and I couldn't even recognise myself! I was like, is this what it looks like after losing your virginity?"

Oh right. She actually did have sex with the sadistic pig.

I noticed that she was still rambling about the special occasion when I saw Mateo and his group of friends approaching us. Emilia must've not iced that I was staring at them when she turned around with a huge smile on her face. Mateo on the other hand, showed and evil gleam in his eyes.

"Hey Mateo-"

"We're over," he spat, causing Emilia to flinch.

"What do you mean?" She whispered.

"Listen, this," he signalled both of them. "Was nothing. A bet. My friends and I made a bet to see if I could take your virginity after two months. Guess i won."

His group started snickering as he looked around to see people stopping what they were doing to watch what was going on.

"I thought-"

"You thought wrong," he looked around once more. "The sex was ok, but I think I got some pretty good pictures."

What?

Pictures?

"Pictures?" She whispered.

"Yeah," he then turned around to look at his friend and motioned him to do something. Within seconds, phones started buzzing and people began to laugh as they pointed at Emilia

Mateo had sent everyone naked pictures of Emilia.

"Why would you do this to me?" Emilia's voice cracked.

"It was totally worth it." Mateo simply responded as he left her standing, vulnerable, as people continued to mock her.

***

Emilia didn't answer my calls for three days straight nor didn't read my texts. I tried calling her mother but she would only reply that Emilia didn't want to see anybody or that she was feeling nauseous. I knew that she obviously felt humiliated after what Mateo did, but I refused to allow her to crawl under the sheets of her bed whilst Mateo enjoyed the victory. It wasn't until three days later, I received the worst possible news ever.

My phone began to ring, and I quickly picked it up, seeing that it was Emilia's mother.

"Hi Lola, is-"

"Astrid, cielo, I need you to turn on the news, channel 4," she instructed with her voice cracking.

"Is every-"

"Just do it."

With my brows furrowed, as I turned the tv on and searched for the channel.

"El cuerpo de una joven de dieciséis años se ha encontrado en la orilla del río..."
("The body of a sixteen year old girl has been found by the river back...")

I felt as though my world collapsed as I heard the news.

"P-please tell me it's not...h-her," I whispered as tears began to roll down my cheeks.