34

It's been a week since Daniel received the letter from his father. It's been a week since he spoken to any of us. Sure, he did send us messages assuring that he was alive, or something, but I knew that right now, he was incapable of wrapping his head around the fact that his father is taking his only hope. Belly.

"I don't understand," Lori began as we all sat around the table during lunch period. "His father considered her a bastard child, didn't want anything to do with her and now...he wants to take her away from Daniel? What kind of person would do that?"

"He's probably doing this for revenge," Jack agreed as he took hold of his girlfriend's hand.

I heard the door open and my head instantly shot up, hoping to see him enter. Instead, it was some regular guy casually checking his phone entering the lunch area. Frowning, I continued to play with my apple ignoring my friends.

"Astrid you okay?" Chelsea asked me, concern written all over her face.

By far, this is the seventh time they all asked me the same question, and this is the seventh time I've given them the same answer.

I don't know.

And it is somewhat the truth. I don't know if I'm ok. I don't know if this will end well or badly. I don't know if Daniel will talk to me the next three weeks.

Yes, three weeks.

In three weeks, we will be hearing who will earn Belly's custody. I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't scared.

I fixated my gaze into the apple in front of me, whilst I felt all the other gazes burning at the top of my head. No one dared to speak up and I was thankful for it. At last the bell rung, indicating my next period to be Spanish. The rest of the group began to make their way to their lockers, leaving me behind.

"You haven't been eating a lot lately." Well not everyone has gone.

"I'm fine," I huffed, fastening my pace.

"No you're not," Mason pressed on. "Look I get that you're nervous-"

"I said that I'm fine!" I shouted, causing him to flinch and step back. People around us began to look towards our direction, all of them sharing a quizzical look. Mason on the other hand, didn't seem to show any expression, however, I could see pity in his eyes.

I fucking hate pity.

I led out a sharp breath and left the hall, in order to avoid more people staring at the scene. Quickening my pace as I felt the tears burning my eyes. I didn't want to cry, I hate it.

Making a turn, I placed my back onto the wall as I took in some air. I knew that the way I reacted was wrong, but I was fed up. I heard foot steps getting nearer and I glued my eyes shut, exhaling.

"You're late for your class," I mumbled.

"I have a free period," Mason shrugged, leaving a long pregnant pause.

"I'm sorry," I began. "How I reacted was wrong and I was a bitch for doing so-"

Mason engulfed me in a bear hug to which I responded to in a matter of seconds. The tears were still burning my eyes, but I still allowed them to be released. I didn't fully sob, I just stood there, hugging Mason whilst the tears ran down my cheeks.

"I can't lose him," I whispered as he let go of each other. "We can't lose him."

"I know," he rubbed my upper arms. "I just hope he isn't doing what he did the last time? Although it's kind of starting..."

"Last time?"

At that moment, Mason's eyes widened and shock took over them, clearly hinting that he regretted saying that.

"Mason, what do you mean last time?" I spoke louder.

Mason looked around, making sure there wasn't any student that could possibly eavesdrop. Looking back at me, he sighed and ran a hand across his face.

"Ok," he began. "When Daniel's mother died, Daniel immediately shut down. He stopped seeing us and hardly went to school. The only times he spoke to us was-"

"Texting us saying that he was still alive or okay," I guessed, the look on his face confirming my answer.

"Then, one day, he just stopped. The four of us were worried sick and went to his house to make sure if he was fine. However his sister, who was still heavily pregnant, was the one who answered the door. At first we were unsure on how to react cause...you know... and she simply said that he had left. He packed a bag and just left."

"What do you mean he just left?"

"When something happens to Daniel, he packs a bag and just leaves without a warning." By the look on my face, he continued. "You're probably thinking that he is a coward for doing that but that's just how he deals with issues."

"He'll definitely come back," he reassured as he placed his hands onto my shoulders.

"How do you know?"

"Porque aún te tiene a ti."
("Because he still has you.")

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello my fine Specimens!
I know it's been a while...please don't hate me...ok you're allowed to

Thank you so much for the 240k reads (okay maybe I'm boasting a little right now hehe)

I love you all and I hope you enjoy this crappy chapter...

Don't lie, it's bad

...