35

The court date is getting closer by the minute. Daniel still hasn't responded to any of our texts, well, their texts. I sort of avoided pressing his contact over the past few days.

Yep, I feel horrible.

They all searched for Daniel. They got into their cars and drove around the town, every single nook and cranny, but there was no sign. The only place I've searched was the beach. However, every time I even think about that place, it brings back memories. Our first hangout and our first kiss...

I shook my head at the memory and continued to run, run until my legs started to ache. But I till continue even though my legs are about to give up. I didn't know which direction I was heading towards. I just turned left and right over and over again. The lyrics distracted me from reading the signs and even the moving cars that were this close from running me over.

I pushed myself to the limit, probably even past the limit for a few minutes until I nearly collapsed onto the floor. Taking my headphones out of my ears, I bent over, hands on my knees and my gaze fixated onto the dusty ground. I stood there for a few minutes trying to regain my breath till I froze at the sound in my surroundings.

Waves.

I stood up and froze, looking at the waves that clashed against the rocks at both sides of the beach. The salty air reaching my nose, I took a large breath in, took off my shoes and walked into the beach.

The sand was humid under my skin, but nevertheless, I scrunched my toes to feel the grains. I walked and walked up until the water reached my feet, sending shivers down my spine.

I walked up to the sand again and sat down, inhaling the salty air as I watched the waves reach the shore. Reaching for my phone, I noticed that it was late, but I didn't care as Oliver was travelling around the coast for a magazine, so there was no one at home.

I began to check my messages but I didn't reply. None of them were from Daniel.

Daniel.

God I miss him. I need him. Everyone is calling him looking for him, all of them except me. Sure I've checked on Belly, who was staying at Lori's house till the court date,  it I never sent a single text to him saying that she was fine.

Somehow, I ended up having my thumb hovering Daniel's contact. I wanted to press it, but I was hesitant. Hesitant that if I do, it will only lead me to his voicemail. But at least I'll get to hear his voice.

Closing my eyes, I remembered the conversation I had with Mason by the lockers...

"Does she know about this whole situation?" I asked.

"I don't know," Mason ran a hand through his hair. "But I think she's getting the idea of what his going on between Daniel and his dad."

I nodded and looked down, silence taking over.

"You haven't called him haven't you?"

My silence gave him the answer.

"I can't," I whispered. "Every time I reach his number, I remember his face as soon as he read that letter."

Mason sighed and placed a hand onto my shoulder as a way to comfort me.

"Astrid, as much as I hate to see you like this, you need to call him."

I opened my mouth but he quickly cut me off.

"Daniel is going through a lot right now. His sister is unstable, his mother died and his father resents him. Since he was young, he was forced to act as an older brother for his sister, and a parent for his niece. There were times when he would be asleep during class cause Belly kept him all night. For years, Daniel wasn't allowed to act his age. He would hardly go out. Until he met you. Yes, as cringy as that sounds, Daniel has been acting more of his age ever since he laid eyes on you, even if you humiliated him by calling him a cliche. He wouldn't stop talking about you and would get jealous if one of us would talk to you. He's in love with you! Ever since he tricked you by saying that the roads were cut...hell, he wouldn't stop talking about it!"

Even though I wasn't looking at him, I could feel my eyes burning from all the tears that were about to be released.

"What I'm trying to say Astrid, is that you need to call him. Even though it reaches his voicemail. The only thing that is keeping him sane right now, is you. Por favor."

I felt a tear roll down my cheek as I replayed the conversation in my head. Hearing those words from Mason gave me hope.

I wiped the tear away and rubbed my nose as I looked down at my phone, Daniel's contact still showing.

I need to call him.

I have to.

I want to.

After a long pause, I pressed his contact and waited for the sign.

"This is Daniel...1, 2, 3 Go!" His voicemail appeared, causing me to sigh.

"Hey...it's me, Astrid," God I suck at these things. "But you might've already guessed that, or not...Christ why is this so hard?"

"It shouldn't be this hard, but somehow I can't seem to function when I talk to you," I lead out a sad laugh. "Everyone is doing okay. Well, at least they seem to. Jack and Lori have been taking care of Belly, who might be getting an idea of what is going on. She misses you, you know and despite her age, she somehow understands your disappearance."

I thought that if I somehow updated him of what was going on here, was my way of accepting his voided presence.

"Everyone in the group, including Gigi, Stephanie and Chelsea understand it too. I'm...I'm still in denial." I trailed off in a whisper.

Maybe this was a mistake.

"Oh fuck it," I sighed, convincing myself that this is the right thing to do. "You left. Without a warning. But I don't blame you or hate you for it. In fact, the only one I'm blaming is myself, for allowing you to have such control over me." I felt my hand shaking as I continued to speak. "Over these past few weeks, I've had a shred of hope that maybe...maybe you were going to walk through the school doors as if nothing ever happened, as if life wasn't being a complete bitch to you. Maybe in the end, happiness could be an option for us but...I don't know anymore." I felt the tears run down my face.

"No one saw this coming, including me. Maybe it was the fact that I was too blinded by the fact that I was falling so hard for you. But I don't blame myself. In fact, I'm glad that I met you. Ever since i saw you by that fountain, talking through the phone, how relaxed,p and calm you looked...I was so drawn to you. Now I know why." I looked up and saw that sky had darkened and filled with stars.

"My world is falling apart, and you were the only one who understood. You were the only one who knew about my past, my flaws, my everything. But you're gone now, and there's nothing I can do about it. God saying that aloud hurts way more than I thought it would."

"Where are you? Why don't you call?" I asked, desperation filling my voice as I begged for answers.

Closing my eyes, I let the last tear fall as I remained my voice steady, but breaking at the same time.

"Why did you leave without saying goodbye?"