40

Silence.

Absolute silence.

It was as though everyone had a five second delay to react.

I opened my eyes and whipped my head towards Eric, who looked paler than before. His lawyer had disappointment written all over his face.

Daniel stood still, shock radiating from him, just like everybody else.

"Congratulations Mr Matthews," the judge shook Daniel's hand.

Daniel just nodded, taking in the fact that he won custody.

Oh my god.

He won.

Mason was the first one to react, as he immediately pulled Daniel into a brotherly hug. Jack and Alex then joined in, followed by us girls. There we were, the nine of us hugging and embracing each other in the middle of the courtroom. I don't know how long we stood there, but we all heard someone cough, causing us all to break apart.

"Good job son," Daniel's father outstretched his hand. "Congratulations."

Is he fucking kidding me?

"Excuse me?" Oh crap I said that out loud.

"You heard her Eric," Daniel backed me up.

"I don't seem to understand what is this about," Eric smoothed his blazer.

"I've met a lot of twisted people," I began. "But taking your son's niece, who had been taking care of all his life, is sick. I hope this has taught you a fucking lesson. Don't ever mess with him again."

"And what happens if I do?" Was he dropped on his head when he was younger? Or was he born stupid?

"Trust me, you don't want me as your enemy."

"Nor me," Gigi spoke out loud, Mason nodding with her.

"And me," Jack, Lori and Alex agreed.

"And us," Stephanie and Chelsea spoke.

"And especially me," Daniel took a step forward, next to me. "How does it feel losing in a game you don't even know how to play?"

Eric Matthews avoided our gaze,he simply nodded and walked away.

"Jesus," Alex began. "Remind me to never be on your bad side Astrid!"

We all laughed as Daniel placed a hard kiss on the side of my head. One by one, we all left the room with a big smile on our faces. I turned around and saw Daniel still standing there, looking at me with a small smile on his face.

"What are you smiling for?" I laughed.

"I may not have said this before, but you are so sexy when you stand up to someone."

I blushed, "that's what you thought of when it confronted you in front of the guys?"

"Let's not talk about that moment," it was Daniel's turn to blush as he placed an arm around my shoulders as we walked out.

As we headed outside, where the rest of the group were waiting.

"Uncle Danny!" A little girl squealed as she ran up to her uncle. Jumping into his arms, he began to twirl around, while the rest of us stood there smiling at the fond moment between uncle and niece.

I don't know why, but I felt tears running down my cheeks. It could be by the moment we were all witnessing. But I knew it was something more.

And I soon realised that.

I found my happy place. A new beginning. Coming here, to North Carolina, I wished to start a normal teenage life, but it wasn't the case; I had the best teenage life. I was surrounded by a group of friends that wouldn't leave my side, and an incredible partner, who loved my thoughts, words and scars.

"Hey," Daniel called me. "We are going to watch a movie at my place."

Smiling, I took his hand, both of us strolling behind the rest of the group.

"What movie are we watching?"

"Hercules," Daniel smiled. "The Disney movie."

I have never been more thankful for this.

I've never felt pain.

Nor abuse.

Era libre.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello my fine Specimens

This is it.

The final chapter.

Next...

*drumroll please*

Epilogue!!

I love you all❤️