39

Hello my fine Specimens!!

First of all, thank you for all the love in the previous chapter, even though I am the dumbest person ever...

Now, this chapter is going to be very important.

Will Daniel win?

Or will it be his father, Eric Matthews?

Guess you'll have to find out...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I couldn't sleep.

Nothing.

I spent the whole night staring at the ceiling as the hours passed.

I turned my head to the side and saw in my alarm clock that it was seven am. In 2 hours, we would be at the court. In 2 hours, we will win, or we will lose.

Giving up, I quietly headed upstairs to make myself some coffee. As I waited for the coffee to brew, I noticed a silhouette by the door that showed the living room.

"The fuck are you doing up?" Oliver asked.

"Can't sleep," I mumbled.

Oliver didn't say anything, he just simply walked up to me and engulfed me into a hug.

"He's going to win," he told me. "Daniel is going to win. There's no way that his father is going to get away with this."

We both moved away from our embrace and I quickly wiped the tears away.

"God I'm such an emotional wreck," I exhaled.

"Go and take a shower. I'll get the coffee."

I nodded in appreciation and headed downstairs to shower. Grabbing my clothes, I went to the bathroom to get ready. Once the hot water made contact with my skin, I began to wonder. There's no way that his father was going to win. It's just mental. Daniel had been taking care of Belly all her life. It wouldn't make sense if he loses.

After several minutes, I hopped out, dried my body and began putting on my outfit. The outfit consisted on black formal trousers, a white buttoned up shirt, and a black blazer. Formal, but not that crazy.

Once I walked out, I noticed that the bed was made and Daniel was out of site. There was a note on the mattress, which I quickly picked up.

Went home to get ready.
Thank you.

I don't know why, but once I read the note, I smiled whilst tears ran down my cheeks. Not because of his attempt of making his horrible writing somewhat eligible, but because I remembered the note I left at his house. I remember the intimacy in the kitchen when he placed his hand onto my cheek as a way to tell me that it wasn't my fault that I didn't know about my mother's death or the moment I teased him with his guitar. But the memory that stood out to me the most, was the way he reacted once he woke up and saw our embrace. I was fully awake at the time, I just waited for him to hop into the shower, giving me extra time to make the bed and leave a thank you note.

I wiped my tears for the hundredth time and glanced at my phone to check the time. Seven thirty.

Guess I should make my way to court.

***

I knew this day was different for all of us. I knew that this day was important to us.

Everyone had somewhat a similar dress code to mine, and their expressions mirrored mine.

Fear.

Gigi's hair didn't shine as bright as it used to.

Lori's long silky black hair was tied up into a low ponytail.

Mason's under-eyes were almost black.

Chelsea's bright clothes were replaced with a grey, almost black dress.

Alex wasn't his cheery self.

God this was awful.

Daniel was the last one to appear. He showed a stoic expression, but I saw the fear in his eyes. He was trying to be strong, i knew it.

"Guess this is it," Stephanie whispered.

"We have to head inside in about," Jack cheeks his watch. "Ten minutes."

"I can't believe he would do such a thing," Lori shook her head in disbelief.

"What kind of father would do that his own son?" Chelsea exhaled whilst Gigi nodded in agreement.

We all stood in silence, waiting for a Daniel to speak up. Sadly, he didn't have to as his lawyer approached to us, telling us all that we had to get inside. I knew that Daniel didn't have to speak up, he simply just looked us all. His green eyes stared back at us, silently thanking us all for the support he had been receiving from us.

"Can I quickly talk to Daniel for a sec?" I asked the lawyer, whom agreed with hesitation. "It won't be long."

He sighed and gave us permission, leaving us two as the steps of the building.

Daniel glanced at the doors of the building, his eyes darkening at the process.

"Hey look at me," I whispered, gently turning his head to face me. "I know we don't have much time left so I'm going to make this quick."

"You're father won't win. I know that for sure. You were the one who took care of Isabella all these years. Sure he checked on you two, but he never stopped because he cared. He doesn't know her favourite colour. You do. He doesn't know that her favourite film is the Lion King. You do. Although we are going to have a serious talk about that subject." He sadly laughed alongside with me.

"I know that you are going to win. You are the most hardworking, responsible guy I've ever met. And those traits made me fall in love with you since day one. The way you reacted when I told you about my past, no one would have reacted the same way, and I love you for that. I do."

I looked up at the doors, "right now, our lives are going to change, but you know what? If we win, we win. But if we lose, hell to them."

Once I finished my speech, Daniel stared at me in awe. He dipped his head slightly and his lips met mine in a deep passionate way.

"I really needed this," he said as he pressed his forehead onto mine. "I really needed you."

I looked up and took his hand, quietly making our way inside.

***

The judge gently hit the gavel onto the table.

This is it.

This is the moment.

She then picked up her glasses and began to read the small peace of paper.

"I here by grant sole custody to..."

I noticed that Eric buttoned his blazer and showed the judge a smug look. As if he knew that he was going to win. Hell, I even thought so too. He had by his side, the best lawyer in all North Carolina. He stepped up the game.

He knew that I was looking at him, as he turned his head to face me. I didn't back down. We both stared at each other. His face morphed into a sly wicked smirk, and his eyes said two words.

You. Lose.

I closed my eyes and mentally prayed.

I've never been religious, but at this moment, I felt like I needed to say a little prayer.

"Please be Daniel," I whispered.

Please be him.

Please be him.

Please...

"Daniel Flynn Matthews."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm back.

Didn't expect that didn't you?

Heheheh