44

I sucked in a breath as his cool fingers applied some sort of white cream to my burn. He was good at this.

He glanced up at me, and my eyes met his again.

"Are you okay? Did I hurt you?"

I blinked, breaking the automatic trance his eyes put me in. "No, it was just cold. I know that you didn't know about my parents Colby but...why did you act that way? Was it because I didn't want to have sex with you?" I felt a little anger building as I thought about that night again, and the way he acted. "Because if that's the case, you can leave right now. A girl has a right to say no, and you literally jumped me in that bedroom."

 His eyes looked shocked. "No, no, no. That's not why!" He put the cream down and wiped his hands on a paper towel, before running his hand through his hair. "I can't really explain it to you. There are a lot of things that you don't know about me and I can't really tell you. It's just...complicated."

 I rolled my eyes. "Things have been complicated since the day I met you."

He smiled a little, making my heart flutter. The look in his eyes made me think that he could hear it. That predatory look shot back into his eyes for a split second before he closed them, blocking them from my view.

When he opened them again, it was gone. Just the usual knock the breath out of me, trance invoking, silver ice blue that I loved.

 I mean, liked. Really liked.

 "I know. I'm sorry for that too. I live a dangerous life Chloe. Emilie got killed because of me. I know that we don't really know each other, but I have this strange attraction to you." His hand came up slowly, towards my face, and I froze.

Colby touched my face, at the top of my cheekbone, letting his finger trail down to my lips.

 "Like you're my drug, my weakness. Even though I know you might be bad for me, I just always need another hit." It sounded like he wasn't even talking to me anymore, but himself.

His voice was full of wonder and confusion at the same time...amazement.

"Chloe, I'm-"

My manager, Jeff, walked in then and stopped in his tracks when he saw us. "Oh...um. Sorry, I interrupted. Chloe, can I talk to you for a second?"

 "She's busy." Colby snarled out, making Jeff take a step back.

 I put my hand on his shoulder, and his eyes came back to meet mine. "I'll be right back."

He didn't look happy about it but he stepped back to let me pass. I walked towards Jeff and followed him to the back room.

"Sorry Jeff, I didn't know that he was coming by."

 He chewed his bottom lip, looking at me with concern. "That's okay, I guess. I don't approve of people being behind the counters if they don't work here though. Uh, is that your boyfriend?"

 I was kind of stunned into silence with that. "No..."

 What was Colby to me? A friend?

 Not really, we didn't even like each other very often...an acquaintance? No, it was way more than that. I didn't know how to answer that question.

 "He's just a friend."

That would have to work. There was relief in Jeff's eyes that I didn't understand.

"Why?" I asked.

He shook his head, looking a little embarrassed. "No reason. Just don't usually let this kind of stuff go on at work. Maybe tell him to wait till you get off to come visit okay? We have to clean up for the next shift."

 "I know. I'll get it done. I promise."

 He smiled at me sweetly, his green eyes shining. He really was a cute guy. A few years older than me, tall, with sandy blonde hair and a nice body. Too cookie cutter for me, but still cute.

"I know you will. I'll be in my office if you need me...and Chloe?"

I had already turned to walk out, so I turned back to him. "Yeah?"

He looked unsure about if he should say whatever was on his mind. "Um...just be careful around that guy, okay? He seems a little...rough around the edges."

 I let out a short laugh before I could stop myself, then threw my hand over my mouth. "Sorry. Yeah, okay. Thanks."

 He nodded, his cheeks flaming, and walked to the door in the back that led to his office. I walked back to the front, and saw Colby sitting on the counter, where the cups were.

"Everything okay?" He asked, jumping down as I walked out.

 He kept glancing to the back where Jeff still was, glaring. I nodded.

 "Yeah, it's fine. Just not supposed to have anyone behind the counter, or friends here while I'm at work."

 He smiled again, knocking the breath out of me. Damn it, that was worse than the eyes. He had to stop or I was never going to be able to have a normal conversation with him.

 "I'm your friend?"

 I felt my cheeks flame at his question, and I shrugged. "I guess. I don't think we know each other well enough to be anything...but yeah, I guess you're kind of my friend." I smiled up at him. "My infuriating, drive me up the fucking wall, make me want to hit you in the head with a frying pan friend."

He folded his lips into his mouth, like he was trying to keep from laughing, but his eyes were actually sparkling. He let out a short bark of a laugh.

 "Seems about right. The feeling is mutual sweetheart."

 Why did my heart skip a beat when he called me that?

 "So, how about we get to know each other then? Become real friends? or try to anyways."

My eyes widened at his request. "Actually?" I was stunned.

 He shrugged. "Yeah, why not? I'm kind of getting tired of hanging out with my old friends. You seem more interesting."

 I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "You just like to fight with me."

One side of his mouth curled up, sending my heart into overdrive. "Maybe I do."

 Fuck me.

 I cleared my throat.

 "Okay, but if we're going to do this, I need to know why you keep being such a dick."