135

Colby's hand closed over mine gently, and he brought it to his lips, pressing them softly against my skin.

"I'm sorry you had to deal with that pain."

I looked up and met his soft blue gaze. There was so much emotion in them, that it took my breath away. He looked sad but almost angry at the same time.

 I reached my hand up to his forehead, rubbing my thumb along the creases there, trying to smooth them away.

"Why are you angry?" I didn't really know how I knew, except that I could feel it coming off of him.

He closed his eyes for a moment and sighed. I started tracing my fingertip along his face again, under his eyes, over his nose and lips.

 "Because," he replied, opening his eyes again. "You shouldn't have had to feel all of these...emotions, especially when you were just a kid! It isn't fair! Life throws us these curve balls and just expects us to be able to adjust and deal with it. Life goes on, regardless of how torn up or wrecked we are. You are the most incredible person I've ever met Chloe." His voice got soft again and he recaptured my hand in his, laying it across his cheek. "You have the biggest heart that you keep guarded because of all of the damage that's been done to it. Some of it from me, and I will forever be sorry for that." He shook his head, as I tried to fight the tears that were threatening to overflow from my eyes.

"Why-"

I swallowed hard.

"Why is this hitting you so hard right now?"

 He gave me a small smile and gestured towards my laptop. "Your words. They are full of so much emotion and it just hit me how hard your life must have been. You don't deserve any of it. Now you're with me, and I know that means your life is just going to get continuously harder...but I'm too selfish to let you go."

 "Don't you dare," I replied earnestly, squeezing his hand. "Stay selfish. You make my life better Colby. Besides," I scooted closer to him. "Everybody has issues in life, some worse than others but that doesn't mean that anyone deserves more or less. We're just all different and we all handle it in different ways. I chose to write. Yes, I have a guarded heart, but I know how to love. Especially now." I leaned over and kissed his nose quickly, earning a sweet smile.

 Just then, Prissy jumped up onto my bed and rubbed against my towel clad back.

"Hi baby," I said turning to pick her up and put her in my lap.

She didn't resist but she eyed Colby the entire time. He was watching her with a pained expression on his face.

 "I love you Chloe." He kissed my cheek while I pet her, and I smiled.

"I love you Colby. Okay, I gotta get dressed now."

I gently removed Prissy from my lap, and lay her on the bed a couple of feet away from Colby. She lay back down but kept her wary eyes on him. At least she wasn't hissing and growling at him anymore, I guess.

I sighed and stood up, walking to my closet.

"So how should I dress tonight? Basic club outfit or...?" I raised my eyebrows at him.

He looked away from Prissy, over to me and smiled wickedly.

 "You can always wear that."

I rolled my eyes at him. "Maybe I will. Wonder what all of the other guys will think."

His bottom lip went inside his mouth, as his tongue shot out to wet it.

He narrowed his eyes and growled, sending shivers down my spine.

"On second thought, change."

I laughed. "That's what I thought."

 I pulled out my favorite black dress, and my red one. The black dress was just a basic spaghetti strap short, tight black dress that stopped a little below mid thigh. The red one though...it was a little more daring.

It was tight, strapless, and left my stomach completely bare, then coming back in below my navel and stopping mid thigh.

Showing a little more skin than I usually did, but who cares? I held them both out for Colby to see.

"Which one?" I asked, wetting my lips nervously.

 I wanted him to like them. His eyes grew wide when they went from the black one to the red one. His mouth opened and then gaped a little, like a fish. I almost laughed.

He cleared his throat, and nodded towards the red one.

"I really like that one but I'm not sure that it'll be safe for you to wear it out."

 I looked at him like he was crazy. "How would I not be safe? I'm going to be surrounded by my own personal vampire body guards."

He shook his head. "I didn't mean that you wouldn't be safe. I meant that it's not going to be safe for the ones who can't keep their eyes off of you. I'll rip them to shreds." He growled out the last sentence, sending chills down my spine again, but I just rolled my eyes, putting my black dress back in the closet.

 "I'm wearing this and you're going to behave yourself Mister. Do you realize how many females stare at you when you walk by? Cuz I do, but I haven't killed anyone, now have I?"

He glared at me for a moment before shrugging. "Fine...but if someone dies, it's on your hands."

"Colby!" I exclaimed.

 I actually wasn't sure if he was being serious or not.

"I'm just saying," He laughed out.

"Whatever. You need to work on your control anyways right? Can you just know that I'm wearing the dress for you and it doesn't matter if anyone else looks, because I'm going home with you too?"

 He smirked at me and gave me a slight nod. "Yeah, I'll behave. Or I won't kill anyone, at least."

I closed my eyes for a moment, disturbed at how easily I took his statement in. "Okay, should I bring all of my stuff with me to your place and get ready there with the other girls or what? I don't know what we're doing." I replied.

He pulled his phone out and checked the time.