chapter 2: Dark Sunglasses

Cordially, I was escorted and settled in what I can call my room by a flattering young man who works here as a waiter, and I have been here for over fifteen minutes, sitting on the large bed—where I will drop my lazy body for a few months— and admiring what is around me.

The bed is so comfortable, so soft that I already know that I will spend wonderful and joyous nights on this cosy serenity. The scent that evaporates from it smells so good, like a mixture of cinnamon, cardamom and orange. The red duvet is huge and thick but tempting, its colour blends perfectly with the pillowcases and the white sheets.

The cabin itself is comfortable. The creamy brown colour of the walls and the polished parquet floor give a luxurious look that I didn't expect. I knew that this cruise was of excellent quality, but what is surrounding me is more than excellent quality, it is perfection.

The walls are well decorated, enough for the passengers to feel ample and homely. Portraits hanging here and there on the walls, portraits of medieval people, wearing their gowns and some are wearing nothing at all. Painted by great artists, I suppose. On the wall behind the bed, there is a small frame with the word 'beautiful' written in white on a red background.

Luckily, the room has a window that is on my left. The first thing I did when I noticed the sliding window was thanking God, because it can be difficult to have such thing in a room, many cabins do not have one, well, many have no windows but rather terraces, which is better than that but, I will not complain, I am fine like this.

The cabin consists of a spacious bathroom, fully decorated in white and black, and around me there is a length mirror, a beautiful wooden desk where I can place all my makeup and everything that consists of my beauty supplies, though now that I am looking at the desk, my mind is telling me that maybe it will not be enough for all my things.

Then, in the corner of the room, I have a closet, large enough for what I brought with me, enough to store all my summer dresses, my pants and my heels. Yeah, I have mostly heels, in all shapes, colours and lengths. Of course, I have other things too, things that are more comfortable you will say, like boots and charming sandals.

All of a sudden, my belly starts making noises, which means one thing; eating alert. I may be thin, but God, I eat like a pig, and I am not embarrassed to admit it because I do. As long as the food is well prepared and tasty, I can eat it again and again. I guess my metabolism is huge or maybe it comes from my mother. Unlike me who eats like a pig, she was a dinosaur.

With a small sigh, I stand up and head for the length mirror next to the door. I look at myself, debating if I should go out like that or if I should change. After a long moment of reflection, I think that my black skinny pants and my red, long-sleeved top with my black ankle heel boots will suffice.

Taking two more steps towards the mirror, I look at my face precisely, examining each part to be sure that my makeup is still intact. I run my fingers in between my bang and push the strands of hair in places, then when I am satisfied with my look, I grab my black purse and walk out of my cabin, feeling excited and anxious, like a kid on Christmas Eve.

~°~

My heels arise on the embroidered carpet of the huge dining room, the carpet gives me an awesome feeling as if I am walking on clouds, although I do not know what it is like to walk on clouds. It is so soft underneath me.

It's okay, Cher, you can do it. People are walking, some of them are giving me 'the stare', the kind of stare that makes me feel somewhat embarrassed. I close my eyes and then reopen them, letting my feet marching in front of the other.