chapter 22: The preparations

Sether

"Where were you yesterday night?" Antonio questions for the thousandth time. It has been over twenty minutes since he came into the back of the kitchen, asking me where I was yesterday, and I have told him the same thing over and over again.

"Don't you have ears, I told you I was sick, I was sleeping," I say in annoyance. This kind of situation really drives me crazy, I don't get it, why the hell can't I be alone for for a moment, is this banned, can't I be sick? Even if I wasn't sick.

"You were sick, so why didn't you call?" He asks and exhales.

"I was sick, I couldn't stand up, what you wanted me to do, besides, Justin knew." Lying isn't my strong point, oh no, I'm a pretty bad liar.

"Listen, Sether, do you think you're the Chef for nothing? We could have chosen someone else and you know it. You're certainly not the only one with a diploma here," he says and I feel something shift in me. Did he just threaten me? Because it looks like one.

"Is this a threat I just heard?" I ask, lifting up an eyebrow.

"You can take it as you want," he says, his eyes fixing me, his bust well high, sticking tightly against his white shirt. The way he is staring me looks like a challenge.

"Great. Can you let me work now, I don't want to... frustrate the boss." The words gush out of my mouth, pretty much of a mockery.

Antonio scratches his bald head and nods, then he walks away, his hands in his pockets. When he disappears out of my sight, I groan and kick the chair that is next to me. I really don't like being commanded by others, I feel like a hostage here, as if I belong to someone but hell no I don't belong to anyone, I do what I want, when I want.

It's really frustrating. Two years, I have been working here for two years and I have never done anything that could be seen as 'bad' and now just because I was 'sick' for a day, everyone will start talking nonsense and start to threaten me, I'm not their marionette but they don't understand that.

All my life, I've been commanded by others, Sether, you do this, Sether, you do that, it was always like that. I didn't want to be a cook, my dream job was completely different from that, but again, I was ordered, things had turned out in a way that I couldn't fight.

Suddenly, the door burst open and Justin walks in, expressionless.

"You have some explanations to give me," he says and wraps his arms around his chest.

"Please, Justin, can we do this later, I just got scolded by Antonio. I'm tired," I mumble and attempt to walk out of the room but he stops me by grabbing my forearm.

"Was it at least worth it?" He asks and I take a moment to think about it. Was it worth it? Hell yes! I'm glad I was with her last night, she was alone and I felt bad, I couldn't do otherwise. Besides, she is gorgeous, she is calm and she is a mystery box, my spitting image. With her I feel myself, I feel comfortable, she is something else.

"Yes, it was," I reply and he nods while a small smile is forming on his lips.

"What is your problem?" I ask with a smirk. Sometimes he acts strangely, he is strange.

"You should ask her out Saturday, we will dock in the Caribbean. The perfect time for her and you to have real moments. Ask her to come with you and make the moment romantic," he says and I look at him, dumbfounded.

"A-are you... did you follow me last night?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"No, but I knew it was something to do with her, I'm not dumb," he says and I sniff with shock.