chapter 30: A friend?

"Niles was talking to me earlier and he shared something quite shocking with me and it made me cry, which is why my face is kind of red and puffy," Chenle finally explains after my pleas.

I knew something was off the moment she took the video call. She is on her bed, under her covers, she is not wearing her round glasses and it gives me more view of her red under eyes and nose. When she cry, she turns red like a tomato and it lingers for a moment before she regains her normal tint.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I ask while looking at myself in the mirror, doing my makeup.

"Yes, he didn't tell me to keep it a secret, so I guess I can tell you," she says and mentally, I role my eyes. I love my sister and I only want the best for her and yes I said Niles is a nice guy by the way he behaved in front of me but I have no idea if he is real with Chenle, people are sometimes fake even if others think they are a hundred percent real. But if I start telling her about that, she will end up the call.

"He told me with tears in his eyes that his mother is sick... she– she has a very bad disease, Cher. It killed me to hear it coming from his mouth and it killed me even more when he cried and sobbed in front of me. But what could I have done, after all, what he said was shocking but I tried to comfort him... I tried so hard."

I reply with a simple yes and put on my eyeliner. Then I shuffle in my beauty bag and grab my favourite lipstick, 'rouge d'amour'. While putting it on my lips, I hear her sigh loudly against the phone. She looks stressed and it kills me to her like that. I will love to be with her, to help her, advice her at all times.

"His mom has cancer," she confesses out of nowhere. I stop what I was doing and I look at her.

Her eyes are glossy and her facial expression has quickly changed. She bites her lower lips and gushes a droplet of tear away with the side of her hand. I look at her across the screen without knowing what to say.

But I know I have to comfort her, I am her only road after all, dad does not know a thing about what is going on between Niles and her and the longer he does not know, the better it will be for the young couple.

"Chenle, it is life. I know it is hard to see him like that but you have to understand that all of this is part of life and-..."

"Did you understand that it was part of life when you were burned?" She asks, with blazing anger now.

"Why are you getting angry now? I am just trying to help you," I say, irritated. See, I said that we barely get into fights but sometimes— which is really rare— she gets moody and even if I am trying to help, she will not see it that way, instead she will think that I am trying to push her down.

"You know what... I don't need your help," she says and before I had time to say something, she disappeared from my phone. She ended the call in my face. Rude.

I groan and press on her number again, waiting for her to answer but after a moment it is still the same, she let her phone ring, not boring herself to answer. Did I irritate her that much? A high pitch sigh leaves my mouth and I turn my connexion off. I was just trying to help her, she did not give me the time to explain what I meant.

With a last sigh of despair, I give myself a look in the mirror and nod, accepting my appearance. Then, I walk in my room and grab my small bag, ready to go out for lunch, I really need this.

But before I walk out of the room, my eyes rest on the little black backpack that I placed on the corner of my bed, in which there is everything I will need for tomorrow and a small smile emerge on my face as I think of tomorrow and of Julian. I can not believe we are going to visit the Caribbean together, not separately but together, him and I. Crazily unbelievable.