Chapter Five

The three of us get to Barnes & Nobel. I park my car and we get out. When Cade sees the story he gets a huge smile on his face. I think he's excited to see what it looks like inside. He begins to almost run out in the parking lot.

"Cade. Cade. Wait for us. Don't run off without us. It's a busy parking lot" Jordan says.

The three of us walk up to the store. Cade gets an excited look in his eyes. We walk into the store. Cade gets even more excited when he sees how big it is and how many books there are.

"Oh my god. This is a bookstore?" Cade asks excitedly

"Yes it is. You can buy whatever you'd like" I say.

"How many books can I buy?" Cade asks.

"As many as you'd like, buddy. We have the money" I say back.

"Awesome. Thanks Kyle" Cade says excitedly. Cade runs off in the store. Jordan and I walk to the café and order hot chocolate. We sit down and talk about Cade.

"So I spoke with Angela Mercer a while ago" I say.

"Did you? What did you two talk about?" Jordan asks.

"Cade went to high school" I say.

"He did?" Jordan asks with a surprised look.

"Yeah. Apparently he was a straight A student" I say back.

"Wow. I never would have guessed" Jordan says.

"You were right. He and Angela were really close" I say.

"Is he thinking about college? We can enroll him" Jordan says.

"Angela said that he wasn't interested in going to college. She also said that we should let him decide what he wants to do" I say back.

"Alright. He should be making his own choices anyway" Jordan says. Jordan and I sit and talk for a little while longer. After about an hour and a half, Cade finds us. He has a basket full of books with him.

"Hey buddy" I say

"Hi guys. These are the books I want to get" he says. I look through the basket and see all the books he wants to get. There was a lot of famous books in there. Well over 30. The Great Gatsby, In Search of Lost Time, The Catcher in the Rye, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men. Just to name a few.

"Wow Cade. These are some really famous books. You like these?" I ask.

"Yeah. I've read them all before. Angela and I would go to the library once a week and these are all the books that I've read and loved the most" he says with a smile.

"Alright. We'll get these for you" I say with a smile.

"When do we have to bring them back?" Cade asks.

"Buddy. We'll never have to bring them back. Once we pay for them, they're yours forever" I say with a smile.

"Really? That's so awesome. I actually did see some other books that I wanted to get. Can I go pick one out?" he asks.

"Of course. Pick out as many as you'd like" I say with a smile.

"Awesome. I'll be right back" he says with a smile.

"Take your time, buddy" I say back. Cade runs off and Jordan and I go back to talking about him. We never knew Cade was so smart. It really makes us happy knowing that he didn't let his life go to waste.

"Wow. I never knew how many books he's read" Jordan says.

"Angela said he was actually very smart. I just didn't know he was this smart" I say back.