Chapter 22 - Closer Than They Seem

Susie walked over to her desk and fist bumped Kris's back on her way. She sat down and saw him staring at her. He grinned at her and gave her a thumbs up. Susie returned his smile and shook her head. "You're such a fucking weirdo." She giggled.

"Susie! Please pay attention." Ms. Alphys yelled from the front.

"Kay."

Kris turned around and gave her a puppy face.

"Kris. You're not well."

Kris winked.

"Stop it duuude." She covered her head in her arms to refrain from laughing.

"Kris. Stop talking to Susie. Pay attention, or I'll move you."

They sat in silence as her lesson went on. Math was so boring for both of them. Well, the entire class thought it was.

Susie was playing with a strand of her hair, and staring up into ceiling. This class is so boring. I wish I could sit next to Kris. Susie stared at the chalk board, and just decided not to try and pay attention ever again. Damn. I need some food. I could ask for some money from Kris... that seems a little rude, I wouldn't want to take all his money and food. I don't understand this math. I feel like it would be easier if we had a teacher that didn't stutter every two fucking seconds. "Ugh."

Right when Ms. Alphys was done explaining the subject, Kris stood up and walked towards her and asked to use the restroom.

Where's he going? Susie wondered.

Kris hastily made his way out of the classroom. He walked down multiple hallways and found the restroom. He groaned and stretched. I'm thirsty. Kris started drinking from the fountain. He took a breath and turned around. Ok. He walked past the all the posters on the wall. Ok. I can do this. It'll be fine. If anything goes wrong, it'll end up fine. Probably.

I'm brave. I. Can. Do. This. He snickered to himself. "What the fuck am I saying?" He took a deep breath, then head back to class. As he walked down the hall, he tried to fix his hair, but realized it probably wasn't possible. He fluffed it up a bit, and entered the classroom. He walked over to his desk and gave a Susie a small smile, and sat down.

Buzz buzz

Kris looked down at his phone. Who's texting me in class? Oh.

"Hey we should skip second period."

Kris turned around and gave Susie a big thumbs up.

"Alright, nerdy boy." She whispered.

Kris smiled and looked back towards the board. He felt the need to lay down and fall asleep. It was like a wave of fatigue flowing through him. It's what usually happens when you wake up hundreds of times in the middle of the night, and have trouble sleeping.

Kris rubbed his eyes. When is this shit over?

Ding
Ding
Ding

Thank God. He already felt Susie's hand grip his shoulder. She told him to follow her, so he agreed. While he followed her she told him to hold on for a second.

Susie walked up to the teacher. "Hey."

"Oh. H-hey Susie."

"Hey. Yeah... I was wondering if I could sit next to Kris."

Ms. Alphys started thinking. "Hmm. I would need you two to be able to pay attention."

Susie leaned in a little. "It was one time. C'mon, please?"