Animagus

The next day, Harry and Ashlyn practically strutted into the Great Hall for breakfast, still high on their victory, soaking up all the congratulations with pride, while pissing off the Slytherins just by breathing. It was the same for the rest of the team too. Beaming at each other, they had their breakfast. 

Then, as usual, the post came in. Dawn flew in with a letter tied to his leg. Ashlyn froze. Did Sirius send her a letter? She can't open it now! Frowning she untied the letter. 

Then curiosity got the best of her and she unfolded it to peek only a bit. She was met with neat handwriting which she recognized as McGonagall's. Sighing in relief, she opened it fully. I read;

Ms Clarke,
Meet me in my office after breakfast.
Prof. McGonagall.

She looked up to see Professor McGonagall leaving her seat from the Grand Table. Ashlyn gulped down her goblet of pumpkin juice and ran out after her, ignoring Harry's and Ron's questioning glances; Hermione was buried in her books, too occupied to notice anything that was happening.

Ashlyn ran to McGonagall's office and knocked on the door, panting. She felt the food digesting in her stomach. She shouldn't have run after eating food. 

"Come in" McGonagall's voice called.

"Good morning, professor," Ashlyn said as she entered and closed the door behind her.

"Good morning, Clarke," McGonagall said brightly. She too was in the euphoria of winning the cup. "Wonderful performance at the game yesterday," she said smiling.

"Thank you, professor" Ashlyn replied, positively glowing.

"Let's cut to the chase. We'll start your practical animagi classes tonight at 9 o'clock" McGonagall said.

"What?! Like I'm actually going to do it?" Ashlyn blurted out.

"Of course, you are. Did you expect to learn by just reading the books?" McGonagall said, eyebrows raised.

"Yes!" Ashlyn said happily. 

"I must confess. I am not pleased with the decision. But Dumbledore thinks that you are ready to complete the process" McGonagall said.

"So I start tonight? 9 o'clock?" Ashlyn asked for conformation.

"Yes" McGonagall, as she walked to the door, holding it open for Ashlyn. Getting the cue, Ashlyn walked out of the room and McGonagall followed.

As they walked to class, the older lady asked, "How are you handling your studies?"

"Honestly, they are tough. Managing all of it is hard. But it's okay. I can do it," Ashlyn said

"I see. Good. And how is Miss Granger handling it?"

"She is cracking. A lot of pressure. If breathing wasn't an involuntary process, she might even forget to do that" Ashlyn said

"I don't blame her," McGonagall said sympathetically.

"We might be dropping a few subjects next year," Ashlyn said

"Yes. I think that's a good decision too. Now, hurry along" 

The whole day Ashlyn couldn't think about anything else. That night, after dinner, she went to McGonagall's office. At sharp 9 o'clock, she knocked on the door.

"Come in" called the all too familiar voice.

Ashlyn entered and on McGonagall's instructions took a seat in front of her desk, which was completely cleared.