Kreacher

Kreacher, it transpired, had been lurking in the attic. Sirius said he had found him up there, covered in dust, no doubt looking for more relics of the Black family to hide in his cupboard. Sirius gave him a stern order that he wasn't supposed to be in cahoots with anyone not part of the Order.

Ashlyn sat in her room for most of the time, staring at the golden locket with a serpentine 'S', glittering with emeralds. She ran her finger gently along the 'S', as her eyes travelled up the thin golden chain. Slytherin's locket...The property of Salazar Slytherin...An heirloom... A Horcrux...

Ashlyn cornered Kreacher in the attic the same day. She locked the door behind her, cast an Imperturbable Charm on the door.

"Kreacher, I want to talk to you," Ashlyn said.

"The mudblood wants to talk to Kreacher, what would-"

"Kreacher!" Ashlyn said sternly, holding up the locket. Kreacher's eyes widened.

"Master Regulus's locket!"

"Immobulus," Ashlyn said freezing Kreacher. The elf could cast away the spell anytime, but he seemed currently unable to think properly. Which was good for Ashlyn, because had the house-elf decided to launch itself at her, she would have been left with two solutions, both terrible. One she'd have to stay defenceless, allowing Kreacher to take back the locket. Two, she could defend herself, but the ruckus would bring the others upstairs which would spoil all her plans.

"Regulus Black, I know his story from what others have told," Ashlyn said, "I want to hear it from you. In return, I promise you, I'll get back Regulus's original locket, in three years time. So, I ask you, please talk to me,"

Ashlyn lifted her spell. Kreacher struggled for a bit, then slumped down on the floor. Now would be a good time for her to talk.

"Regulus Arcturus Black, the younger sibling, the better one as per the family, the one who was obedient, the one who treated you kindly, with respect," Ashlyn said, inching closer.

"He was smart, kind, brave...noble. Fitting to the House of Black...An unsung hero," 

Kreacher burst into tears, screaming. 

"I'll tell you what I've heard. Regulus Black joined the Death Eaters when he was sixteen, and got killed. He used to play Seeker for the Slytherin team, pretty good at potions, one of Slughorn's priced gems," Ashlyn said over his loud sobs.

Kreacher was sobbing harder than ever, perhaps remembering all the memories. Poor Kreacher... 

"Kreacher," Ashlyn called. "Kreacher, listen to me. I don't care what others talk about Regulus. I want to hear you tell me about him, for only then would I know what is true and what is just a rumour,"

Kreacher looked up at her with bloodshot eyes.

"The world will one day know what Regulus had given to stop the Dark Lord. But only if his hidden story is told today," she said.

Kreacher sniffed and started rocking.

"Master Sirius ran away, good riddance, for he was a bad boy and broke my Mistress's heart with his lawless ways. But Master Regulus had proper order; he knew what was due to the name of Black and the dignity of his pureblood. For years he talked of the Dark Lord, who was going to bring the wizards out of hiding to rule the Muggles and the Muggle-borns . . . and when he was sixteen years old, Master Regulus joined the Dark Lord. So proud, so proud, so happy to serve . . . And one day, a year after he joined, Master Regulus came down to the kitchen to see Kreacher. Master Regulus always liked Kreacher. And Master Regulus said . . . he said . . . he said that the Dark Lord required an elf."