Pettigrew

It took a few seconds for the sentence to sink in. 

"You're both mental," Ron said

"Ridiculous!" said Hermione faintly.

"Peter Pettigrew's dead!" said Harry. "He killed him twelve years ago!" He pointed at Black, whose face twitched convulsively.

'What's with you three never acknowledging facts even if it's dancing right in front of your eyes" Ashlyn groaned.

"I meant to," Sirius growled, his yellow teeth bared, "but little Peter got the better of me ... not this time, though!"

And Crookshanks was thrown to the floor as Black lunged at Scabbers; Ron yelled with pain as Sirius's weight fell on his broken leg.

"Sirius, NO!" Lupin yelled, launching himself forwards and dragging Sirus away from Ron again. Pettigrew escaped from Ron's hand and before could escape yet again, Ashlyn caught him. She gripped his throat tightly.

"WAIT! You can't do it just like that — they need to understand — we've got to explain —"

"We can explain afterwards!" snarled Sirius, trying to throw Lupin off. One hand was still clawing the air as it tried to reach Scabbers, who was squealing like a piglet.

"They've — got — a — right — to — know — everything!" Lupin panted, still trying to restrain Sirius. "Ron's kept him as a pet! There are parts of it even I don't understand! And Harry — you owe Harry the truth, Sirius!"

Sirius stopped struggling, though his hollowed eyes were still fixed on Pettigrew.

"All right, then," Sirius said, without taking his eyes off the rat. "Tell them whatever you like. But make it quick, Remus. I want to commit the murder I was imprisoned for. . . ."

"You're nutters, both of you," said Ron shakily, looking round at Harry and Hermione for support. "I've had enough of this. I'm off."

He tried to heave himself up on his good leg, but Lupin raised his wand again, pointing it at Scabbers.

"You're going to hear me out, Ron," he said quietly. "Ashlyn, just keep a tight grip on Peter, while I explain" 

Ashlyn nodded.

"HE'S NOT PETER, HE'S SCABBERS!" Ron yelled. 

Pettigrew squealed and scratched at Ashlyn's hand.

"Stay still," Ashlyn said in the same dark voice that sent chills down their spines. Everyone stopped moving, even Pettigrew.

"There were witnesses who saw Pettigrew die," Harry said. "A whole street full of them . . ."

"They didn't see what they thought they saw!" said Sirius savagely.

"Everyone thought Sirius killed Peter," said Lupin, nodding. "I believed it myself — until I saw the map tonight. Because the Marauder's Map never lies . . . Peter's alive. Ashlyn's holding him, Harry."

"More like strangling him" Ashlyn commented.

Harry looked down at Ron, and as their eyes met, they agreed, silently: Black and Lupin were both out of their minds. Their story made no sense whatsoever. How could Scabbers be Peter Pettigrew? Azkaban must have unhinged Black after all — but why was Lupin playing along with him? Even Ashlyn?

Then Hermione spoke, in a trembling, would-be calm sort of voice, as though trying to will Professor Lupin to talk sensibly.

"But Professor Lupin . . . Scabbers can't be Pettigrew . . . it just can't be true, you know it can't . ."