Prologue

"Join or face Death." Narinig naming sabi ni Joyce. 'Yun ang mensaheng nakasulat sa pulang papel na nakaipit sa planner niya. 

"Buwisit!" I cursed. 

"B-Baka hindi para sa 'yo 'yan, Joyce? Baka napulot lang 'yan nung baristang nagbalik ng planner mo?"

"Kuya Red..." She looked at him with sadness and fear on her face. He reached for her hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. 

As much as I would like to believe Red's words, alam naming lahat ang totoo. Hindi nila kami tatantanan.

"Sa kanila kaya talaga galing 'yan?" I looked at Joyce and she aged in a matter of minutes. Nagmimiryenda lang kami kanina. We were just talking about my plans for college, kung ano'ng status namin ni Red at kung saan niya balak pumasok this coming school year since Monte Carlo High closed. Tapos ito. 

"It's the same red paper." Maikli niyang sagot.

"Are they inviting you to join them again? Akala ko ba hindi sila nag-i-imbita ng thirteen years old pataas?" Red returned the red note to Joyce.

"At ilang beses mo na rin silang tinanggihan, 'di ba? Ano naman ang plano nila ngayon?"

She just shook her head and held it with both of her hands. She rested her elbows on the table and closed her eyes. Naaawa ako sa kanya. She didn't deserve this, she's just a kid! Hindi na niya dapat iniisip ang ganito. Naiinis ako sa sitwasyon. If this was really Espada's doing, we have to find a way to stop them from getting her. Pero paano?

"Makakaisip din tayo ng paraan, Joyce. I mean, they has to be a way for them not to get to you, right?" Red looked at me and it's the first time since we left Monte Carlo High. There was only concern in his eyes. Parang sinasabi niya sa akin na kailangan naming protektahan si Joyce at huwag hayaang mangyari ang hindi dapat. We knew how she hated Espada. They killed her birth parents dahil ayaw nilang pasalihin siya sa grupong 'yon. And they're getting back at her now.

"Biglang nagsara ang Monte Carlo. Sigurado ako, sila ang may gawa 'nun! Ate Dawn, Kuya Red, kukunin nila ako! Tulungan niyo ako! Ayoko... ayokong sumama sa kanila!" She started to panic. She was teary-eyed and she looked at us like her whole life depended on our hands. 

"Joyce, Joyce. Please, calm down." Red stood up and rested his hands on her shoulders. He looked at me again and waited for me to say something that would assure her that she would be safe.

"Joyce." I took her hand and she looked at me. "Mag-enrol ka sa Reed University."

---12.31.14

A/N: Something to look forward to next year! Sana samahan niyo pa rin sila Dawn, Joyce at Red sa mga susunod nilang adventures with life and death.

Happy new year from me and the rest of the TLISA gang! :)