53. The message

Chapter 53: The message

Kelsey's POV

*****

"Mr. Wilkinson, please come in," a tall lady with dirty blonde hair tied in a neat bun said as she came out to greet us in the waiting room. For some reason, I felt myself getting nervous at meeting her, even if she wasn't going to be my employer.

"Ms. Perry, very nice to see you," my dad said as he got up from his chair and shook her hand, walking inside with her as I trailed behind. "This is my daughter Kelsey, the one I've told you about," he said as soon as were inside her impressively large office, with a window so big that it allows you to see everything.

"Kelsey, I've heard a lot about you from your dad. He's very fond of you. Tells me you're very talented in acting and writing," she said as she shook my hand before gesturing for us to sit down, doing so herself.

I took a quick glance at my dad before speaking, feeling myself starting to get nervous. I always got shy when it came to talking to people I didn't know, and the fact that the woman standing in front of me was my father's new boss did not make it any better. My cheeks started heating up as I tried to find the right way to answer, not wanting to seem braggy or say the wrong thing.

"Erm, yes," I nervously answered.

"Alright then, Mr. Wilkinson, I reckon you've already had a lawyer read over the contract?" She asked my dad, who gave her a small nod before telling her that he had.

"Very well. Now you have to understand that this contract covers at least two years," she continued, making my eyes widen before I tried as hard as I could to mask my shock, not wanting to seem rude.

I couldn't believe that I was going to stay there for two whole years. My father had told me that we were staying for a long time, but hearing it come out of his employer's mouth made it more final, more real.

"Yes, I understand," my dad replied before looking at me and giving my hand a reassuring squeeze, probably realising what had been going through my head.

I could feel my phone buzz as my dad and Ms.Perry were talking, and as I made sure that they weren't taking any notice of me, I quickly took the phone out of my pockets and opened Meg's text, a smile appearing on my face. She told me that Jake had taken them to the funfair as a surprise, which was the place where he and Meg had started talking. Yet the thing that brought tears to my eyes was the photo attached to the message.

It was a photo taken in front of the Ferris wheel, the one where Ethan and I had almost had our first kiss. Ellie was on Meg's back, a toothy smile on her face, while Lara was on Jake's. Noah and May, on the other hand, were holding hands, the sides of their heads touching one another's. Every single one of them had beautiful smiles on their faces, and all I wanted was to burst out crying, something which I couldn't do in front of my dad and his new boss.

I started smiling like an idiot as soon as a new message came in reading 'a photo just for our favourite person'. I didn't care if Ms.Perry would think that I was mental if she saw the smile on my face, nor did I care that my cheeks were starting to burn because of the smile. The amount with which I loved and cared for every single person in that photo was crazy.

"So, here's a pen, you can reread your contract and sign whenever you're ready," Ms.Perry said as she handed my dad a fancy looking silver pen. My heart sank as I realised that he was about to sign the contract, making our stay in New York more final.

I glanced up at my father, only to see him looking at the phone in my hands, his face in an unreadable expression. He looked back at Ms.Perry, shooting her a smile before taking a deep breath, seemingly preparing himself for what he was about to do.