11. Don't want to lose you

Chapter 11: Don't want to lose you

Kelsey's POV

*****

As I was grabbing the soda and some cups I heard footsteps coming from behind me. I instantly realised that it was Ethan as soon as the scent of vanilla and cinnamon hit me.

"Kelsey," he whispered, stopping behind me.

I stayed facing the counter, not wanting to look at him at all. I knew that I would break if I did.

I knew that I would have realised things if I did.

"Please, look at me," he pleaded, gently grabbing me from my waist and turning me around, sending shivers up my spine at the sudden contact.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, suddenly looking at the floor after the words escaped his mouth.

"I'm sorry, what?" I asked, not able to believe my ears.

"I said I'm sorry. I'm sorry I acted like a douche today," he said. "I don't know what got over me."

I couldn't help but be confused as to whether or not he was being honest. He seemed honest, but I had met a lot of people who could act as if they were feeling something they weren't.

"Since when are you ever sorry about the way you act?" I asked, finally looking straight in to his eyes.

"I don't know, all I know is that I feel bad and I just wanted you to know," he replied.

"Why should I believe you?" I asked, still unsure on whether it was a trick or not.

I was willing to forgive him, I was willing to listen to him, but I wanted to hear it from him.

"It's up to you whether you want to believe me or not, but all I know is that I'm being honest, I'm truly, honestly, sorry. I don't want to lose you as a friend Kels, you actually make me feel like a normal human being, if you don't want to believe me then don't, but don't say I didn't try," he said, honesty written all over his face.

What he said had managed to make my heart beat faster. He actually cared about me, and he actually wanted me around. That's all I ever wanted.

'He's not a bad guy Kels'

Meg's words kept playing in my head. The guy standing in front of me looked completely honest and I couldn't figure out what was happening between us without giving him a chance.

I wanted to give him a chance to show me who he really was.

"It's okay Ethan, I forgive you," I said, sending him a smile.

He looked at me with wide eyes, as if he couldn't believe what I had just told him, before he smiled at me.

"So we're cool?" He asked, a hopeful look on his face.

"Yes, we're cool" I said, right before he surprised me by engulfing me in a tight hug, making my heart almost explode out of my chest.

"Thank you for not giving up on me," he said whilst still smiling at me, sending me an innocent wink and turning around, ready to walk away.

"I don't want to lose you either Eth," I said before he was completely out of sight.

He stopped in his track for a second and looked at me with a gigantic smile on his face. "You have no idea how much that actually means to me," he said, walking off and leaving me there alone with my confused emotions.

****

"So he does care about you!" Meg squealed after I had told her everything that had unfolded in the kitchen.

"Keep your voice down, we don't want anyone hearing you," I whispered, before letting out a small sigh. "I don't know for sure if he was being honest but something was telling me he was. I decided to give him a chance. I can't know if he's serious if I don't give him a chance to at least prove himself."

"I agree with you completely," Meg said, nodding.

Feelings are hard to understand. I knew that Ethan was slowly becoming important to me, but I didn't yet know in what way.

"But if you do find out whether you like him or not you'll tell me right?" She said wiggling her eyebrows, breaking the silence between us and making me laugh.

"You'll be the first one to know," I said as we both continued laughing together.

Ethan's apology made me feel in a better mood. It was nice to know that there was someone who was actually afraid of losing me and who wasn't scared to keep fighting to get the friendship back.

He was one of a kind, and no matter how confusing he was, I could no longer imagine my life without him around.